Chapter Thirty Nine

The next couple of days passed by quite quickly, probably because I was so excited about my date with Larissa. I had made all of the necessary arrangements with Alice, and arranged a time to pick Larissa up.

"Eleven o'clock? Who goes on a date at eleven o'clock?" Rob asked, mocking me for how I reacted when he took Alice out on their first date.

"Shut up," I laughed. "This is different."

He just laughed at me, then continued making sandwiches at the coffee shop. Tom was leaving the shop in the possibly capable hands of Rob while he went away for the weekend. However, he had been with us all morning, making sure Rob was aware of all of his managerial duties.

"Don't forget to lock up, Rob," he said, sounding concerned.

"Dad, I've locked up for you hundreds of times."

"Yes, and you also left the house unlocked hundreds of times when you were living with me," Tom laughed. "I'm not here to check up on you, so just make sure we don't have any issues."

"Aye aye, captain," Rob joked, holding his hand to his head in a salute.

"I'll keep an eye on him, Tom," I promised.

"Yeah, unless you get laid tomorrow night," he replied.

"That's not really what I'm going for this time," I said.

"Yeah, but if it happens, I don't really see you running back here to check this dumbass locked the door."

He was right, I definitely wouldn't.

"Dad, I'm going to lock the bloody door! Stop panicking."

Tom just sighed and shook his head.

"Okay, I had better get going," he announced, putting on his coat. "Call me if there's any issues."

He handed Rob the keys, then walked over to me and hugged me.

"Good luck tomorrow sweetheart," he said softly. "I really hope everything works out this time."

"Thanks, so do I," I replied, kissing him on the cheek.

"Why is he so much nicer to you?" Rob asked, after he left.

"If it's any consolation, he called me a dumbass the other day, too," I laughed.

Rob smiled, and started to clean the kitchen. I went out of the kitchen, as I had just heard the door open. I quickly served a customer a cup of tea, then Rob joined me.

"Are you nervous?" He asked, sitting down next to me at the till.

"I'm fucking terrified," I admitted. "She's already broken my heart on multiple occasions, I'm not ready for it to happen again."

"I think it's different this time. I think she's finally realised that you're the one she wants."

"I hope so," I smiled.

Rob and I didn't have many meaningful conversations, so I was always glad when they happened, however short they were.

"I found out why my mum left, by the way."

He raised an eyebrow at me questioningly.

"It was Tracy, from Liam's foster home. She told her she had proof that it wasn't just my dad hurting Liam, and threatened to tell the police," I said.

"What proof?"

"There isn't any," I laughed. "But my mum did hurt him, so I guess she thought there could have been proof, and got scared."