Chapter Twenty Nine

After venting to Rob for ten minutes, we both walked toward the exit of the gym. I came face to face with Jade as I neared the door, and tried to avoid her eyes.

"I'm surprised you're still coming here, now that she's gone," she said.

"What do you mean she's gone?" I asked, confused.

"Larissa quit yesterday," she said, with a satisfied smile. "She didn't tell you?"

I frowned at her and walked past her, not wanting to play her games. Rob followed, looking just as confused as I was.

"Did Alice not mention Larissa leaving?" I asked.

"No, I don't think she's spoke to her since she left her house the other day," he replied.

"Maybe Jade's lying," I shrugged and walked to my car. "Thanks for coming with me today, Rob. I really needed to beat you up."

"Any time," he laughed. "And don't worry about your mum, she can't do anything to get in the way of Liam moving with you. Maybe it's best to mention it to Tracy though, just in case."

"Yeah, I will. Thanks," I smiled.

Rob hugged me slightly, then walked to his car.

"See you later," he shouted across the car park. We were both working this afternoon.

I waved at him, and got into my car. I hoped that he would let me know if he heard anything more about Larissa, but I thought that I may call Alice later.

After driving home, I showered and got dressed for work. I still had a couple of hours before I started, but I didn't want to rush around ten minutes before I was due to start, like normal.

My phone started to ring, after I sat on the sofa with a cup of tea. Alice's name flashed up on my phone screen, and I picked it up quickly.

"Hey, Alice. How are you?"

"Hi Ivy, Rob told me about Larissa quitting the gym. I've just spoken to her, and Jade isn't lying," she said.

"Oh... Is she alright?" I asked.

"I don't know how she is really, she didn't speak much. But she told me that Brandon moved out, and she's got a new job at the hospital."

"Really?" I asked, smiling.

"Yeah, she said she can't afford to pay for the house on her wages from the gym, so she needed a change. I'm going to see her later so I'll try and find out more," she said.

"Thanks, Alice. Thanks for letting me know. Could you maybe ask her to call me... when she has time, please?"

"Yeah, I'll ask. I'll speak to you later, Ivy."

"Bye," I said and hung up the phone.

I had mixed feelings about my conversation with Alice. On one hand, I was happy that Brandon had moved out because he didn't deserve her. But on the other hand, she told me she hated working at the hospital before. I really hoped that I would hear from her soon, I missed her so much.

I tried to distract myself from thoughts of Larissa by cooking. It wasn't very often that I would cook a real meal, so I took my time deciding what to make. After searching my cupboards and fridge, I settled on making a chicken and vegetable pie.

Every time I made a pie, Tom and Rob would request leftovers so I made it large enough for both of them and Alice.

When I had put the pie into the oven, I cleaned around the kitchen, then went to the living room to watch TV while I waited for the pie to cook. I tried to consider ways to get my mother to leave me and Liam alone.