Chapter Eight

Watching Larissa cooking amazed me. She was so content, and the smile never left her face. She was only making pasta for us, but it looked as if she was making a three course meal in a five star restaurant.

"So Rob's moving in then?" She asked, as she diced some green peppers to add to the pasta.

"Yeah," I replied. "Well, he's gonna talk to Tom today. I don't know how Tom's gonna feel about it all, and I don't want to upset him, so I told Rob to square it with him first."

"I'm sure Tom won't mind, it's not like Rob's gonna be far away."

"Yeah, I guess. It's just that, it's always been the two of them, since Elaine left. What if he's lonely?" I said, and felt saddened by the thought.

Larissa looked at me and smiled. She put the pasta into a dish, and grated some cheese over the top, then placed it into the oven, along with some garlic bread that she had made.

"It's so nice of you to worry about Tom," she said, sitting at the table again. "But he's a grown man, and so is Rob. Tom's probably been waiting for this to happen. I mean, how old is Rob?"

"Twenty five," I answered.

"Really?" She asked, raising her eyebrows. "So you're only twenty five too?"

"Almost twenty five," I corrected. "Why?"

"I don't know, I guess I thought you guys were my age."

"So I look old?" I laughed.

"So I'm old?" She quipped.

I felt my face heat up, and I thought I had offended her. I started to apologise, but was interrupted by Larissa's musical laugh.

"I didn't mean it like that," I pouted.

"I know," she laughed. "And no, you don't look old, you just seem mature for your age."

"There's only four years between us. And believe me, if we keep hanging out, you'll change your mind about how mature I am."

"Then, I guess we'll see."

I smiled at her response. Larissa was really fun to be around, and I would like to hang out with her more. I was happy she wasn't completely opposed to spending more time with me.

Larissa's phone started to ring, and I saw the name Brandon on her screen before she answered.

"Hey baby," she said to Brandon. I looked away from her awkwardly as she spoke to her boyfriend, and realised I really disliked Brandon.

"I'm good, I'm just making some food for Ivy and me."

Larissa's face changed as Brandon spoke, and she stood from the table and walked out into the hallway. I could still hear what she was saying.

"You said you were coming on Thursday... I've been rushing around trying to get everything ready for you," she said, sounding upset. "So when? I haven't seen you for two weeks."

A few more seconds passed before she spoke, while Brandon answered her.

"Okay. Whatever," she replied, sounding more pissed off than upset now. "See you next week. Love you."

I waited for a moment for Larissa to come back into the kitchen, but she didn't. I stood up, and went to see if she was okay.

When I got to the hallway, she was sitting on the stairs with her head in her hands.

"Larissa...?" I said quietly.

She quickly wiped her eyes and looked up at me with her best fake smile. I sighed, and sat down next to her.