Chapter Five

I almost growled at my alarm when it woke me up. It took me a minute to realise that I was working today. I slowly pulled myself out of bed and took a shower.

I tugged a comb through my long blonde hair, before drying it. I frowned at my pale, tired reflection in the mirror, but didn't care to change it. I tried my hair up into a messy bun, and put on some skinny jeans, and a white t-shirt. We didn't have a uniform at work, just the aprons.

I decided to make myself some breakfast in the shop, while I was getting everything ready. So, I walked out of my apartment, lit a cigarette, and walked around to the front of the shop to unlock the door.

I still had almost an hour before I needed to open, so I took the chairs down from on top of the tables, emptied the dishwasher, and then started to make some biscuits and sandwiches. We didn't sell too much food, so there wasn't much for me to do. I made myself a grilled cheese sandwich, and my usual caramel latte, and sat at the counter while I ate.

When I finished eating, I called Rob to make sure he was up and getting ready for his date. He told me he was ready and waiting, and I could tell he was both nervous and excited. He really seemed to like Alice. After a short conversation with him, I hung up the phone and opened the shop up.

As I expected, there was no customers for a while, so I started to catch up on Game of Thrones, on my phone. Finally, I heard the bell to signal the door had opened, and we had a few customers. I served them quickly, and got back to my TV show. I heard the bell again, signalling that they were leaving, and didn't bother looking up from my screen.

"Learning how to climb from YouTube?"

The familiar voice made me jump. I looked up and saw Larissa grinning at me.

"Shut up," I replied, pouting. I paused my video.

"Well that's no way to talk to your customers. Can I speak to your manager please?" She joked.

"Sorry sweetheart, he's not here today. You'll have to just put up with my terrible customer service skills."

She smiled, and looked into my eyes, which gave me a terrible case of butterflies.

"I'll take a black coffee please," she requested.

"Don't be so boring, doc. Give me a challenge."

"What would you recommend?" She asked, and I thought about it for a moment.

"How about a jaeger bomb?" I said with a wink.

"At ten o'clock in the morning? Wow. It's no wonder you fell yesterday," she laughed.

"You're right, it's a little early. So, maybe we should go for a drink at a more acceptable time. I finish at six tonight."

She looked surprised by my proposal.

"Okay, I'm not working tomorrow so I guess I could go for a drink tonight," she replied, and I tried to stop myself from grinning. "But for now, I'll take that black coffee to go."

"Yes boss," I said, and quickly made her drink. I scribbled my phone number on a piece of paper, and handed it to her, with her drink. "See you after six, Larissa?"

"See you later, Ivy."

She left the shop, and I almost fainted. I wasn't sure how she knew my name, but I was so happy. I needed a cigarette to calm down, and the shop was empty. I smoked at the front of the shop, so I would know if any customers arrived.

The morning went by really slowly, and I was anxious to finish work. By three o'clock, there had been about five more customers, but I was once again alone in the shop. I cleaned up quickly, then went back to watching Game of Thrones.