Chapter Thirty Four

"I think she's waking up!"

The muffled voice sounded relieved.

"About time, she's too old for naps in the day time," another voice said.

I tried to open my eyes, but the light that seeped through my eyelids was blinding, and forced them shut again.

I eventually managed to force my eyelids apart, but my eyes would not stay still. It felt like they were moving faster than should be possible. As they flitted around the room, I realised I was in a hospital. There were a few people in the room with me, but my eyes wouldn't settle on any of them.

Finally, I found something to focus on. The most beautiful woman I had ever seen appeared in my line of sight, and my eyes stopped rolling around. Her emerald green eyes seemed to have some kind of power over mine.

"Hey, Ivy. How are you feeling?" Her soft voice asked.

"I'm okay, I think," I whispered. "But... who are you?"

I watched as the colour drained from her face, and her relieved expression turn to shock and fear.

"You... you don't remember me?" She asked.

"Honey, I was joking," I laughed nervously, realising my joke was not appreciated by anyone else in the room.

"You're a dick," Rob sighed, sitting down next to Alice, who was laughing slightly now.

"That's really not funny, Ivy," Larissa said, with a frown.

"I'm sorry," I said, grabbing her hand so she couldn't walk away. "I was just trying to lighten the mood. You're all so serious."

"Because you bounced your head off a go-kart and knocked yourself out for four hours," Rob said. "I'm gonna get a coffee."

He stood up and walked out of the room, and I guessed he was a little pissed off with my terrible humour attempt. Alice stood up after, and came over to me.

"I'm gonna go with him. Liam and Dana are in the cafe, and we've called Tracy to let her know what's happened. She's gonna come pick him up soon."

"Thanks, Alice," I smiled.

She walked out of the room, leaving me alone with Larissa, who was staring at me. I couldn't work out if she was happy I was awake, or still pissed off about my joke.

"Larissa, I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to-"

"You scared me, you idiot!" She said, raising her voice slightly.

Although I knew she was telling me off, I was happy with her reaction.

"Why are you smiling?" She asked, more annoyed.

"It's just... it's good to know you don't want me to forget you," I smiled.

"Why would I want that?" She asked, saddened by my words.

"Well, you said you wished we could go back to when we first met, before all the drama," I replied, recalling our conversation at the barbeque.

She sighed heavily, and pulled a chair up next to my bed.

"Ivy, I didn't really mean that."

"I think you did," I smiled. "But that's okay, we do have a fucked up story so far."

"But it's our fucked up story," she laughed. "So really, how are you feeling?"

"My head hurts. A lot."

"Yeah, that's what happens when you lose a fight with a go-kart," she joked.

"Shut up," I frowned. "Who even called you?"