Chapter 14

Long time no see. I know. I had plenty of time writing in my train journey. Hope this is worth it.

"Stop watching those salsa dance videos and come to train, Miguel," Antlia said, her sharp voice breaking the stillness of the calm morning.

It had been two days since Varian met Aislynn, and the mates were yet to make their way down together. Varian had come down only thrice in the two days and that had been for food. But none of us could ignore the strong mixing of their scents.

"Not salsa dance," Miguel protested, pausing the video in the laptop he had brought with Varian's money. "I am watching flamingo dance."

"Is that a type of dance?" Kaina asked as she laced her boots.

Blinking, Nash went ahead and peeked into the screen. His face morphed in horror. "You are watching flamingo dance. Literal flamingos dancing."

"What?" Antlia asked.

Against his protests, Nash turned the screen towards us. The picture of pink flamingo birds dancing was etched on the screen.

Kaina made a choking noise while Rhaze was sniggering in the corner.

Miguel scowled and turned the screen towards him. "I needed to vent out!"

"Vent what exactly?" Rhaze asked, controlling her laugh.

The ex-delta of Winter Pack pouted. "Varian does not have enough money."

"For?" I asked. From what I saw, Varian's bank balance said he was pretty loaded. Loaded enough to lend some lesser packs or covers or tribes money in case of war or disaster and live happily.

"For investing in an army of llamas," he said as though that made enough sense.

"An army of llamas?" I choked.

"Dude, you could have told me this earlier," Antlia said. "I would have given you enough to buy an army of llamas."

"Do it," his voice came as he climbed down the stairs. "I dare you to do it, princess."

Antlia shrugged. "Don't listen to him, Miguel. I shall pay for an army of llamas."

One was worse. Having the two interact was even worse.

"Why llamas?" Nash asked. "What did the poor creatures do to suffer by you?"

The twinkle in Miguel's eyes dropped for a second. He turned away.

"His mate, Kenna's favourite skin was a llama," Aries whispered behind me.

When we heard that, the previous light mood fled. Just in a second, Antlia looked at the floor as though the mosaic pattern was out of the world. Kaina bent down to re-tie her lace while Nash turned the screen towards Miguel and picked the bottle of water.

Rhaze cleared her throat. "Shall we go out to train?"

Kaina immediately got up and left. Antlia and Nash followed my sister out.

Aries looked as though he wanted to tell me something, but he too left after a few seconds.

Miguel focused his gaze on the screen but my ears told me he was not playing the video.