Chapter 20.1

Author's note: Please read this. Please.

This part contains blood, gory, and all that. This might be triggering at the last scene. Yes, it is dark and cold.

So, if you have a soft heart and can't take this piece, this you can skip this.

One character is non-binary and the pronouns used are ze, zir, and zirs. If I have done something wrong anything related to this character, please pm me.

But if you are against LGBT+, then you can leave, for some characters belong to that community.

And lastly, after a long contemplation, I am not making this part private.

Anyway, Enjoy!

Pushing an unruly strand of hair out of her face, Alpha Henry Yarrow's eldest child, Aspen Ruiz planted the mango sapling her mother handed her. Just as her mother had taught her fifteen years ago, she covered the young plant's roots with soil and when she was sure the plant might have a chance to stand, she gently sprinkled the earth with a little water.

Brushing off the soil from her clothes, she grinned at her mother. "Is that last?"

Her mother, Alpha Maria Ruiz nodded. "That is all for today."

Aspen straightened her back like she had seen her mother so many times. "Then I shall see the hepaticas."

The dusk was gracefully falling like drizzle. Whispering secrets to the sky in various hues of orange and red, it filled the air with sweet scents of flowers her garden had. The buttercups that had bloomed earlier that morning looked a little tired, but they were smiling nonetheless with a golden tint that the fading sun gave.

Honey bees who were in haste to leave to their hive were collecting as much as nectar as they could, drowning the evening with their droning banter. Leaves rustled to the lullaby of the spring zephyr and a warm chillness made Aspen shiver.

This was her garden, a garden that never lost its colour in any part of the year. For her garden had flowers to appease the spring, trees that dressed in orange, yellow, red and brown in summer, some rebel plants that bloomed in autumn and some flora that somehow thrived in the harshest winter.

She took pride in maintaining it.

Maria nodded. "Yes. Go tend them. But I need you to help me in the kitchen tonight. Theta Silver is coming for dinner with zirs sister. You know much must Nadia likes those hepaticas."

Aspen grinned at her mother and picked the watering can and made her way to the lawn that had various shades of hepaticas.

The soft receding footsteps announced her, that her mother had left.

A smile made its way to her face upon seeing the flowers. Caressing a flower, she slowly watered the plants. When she was sure she was done, she picked a basket and picked up various shades of the flowers.

The clock on the pole said that it was seven in the evening and the darkening sky out did not help it. Sighing, she placed the watering can near the pole and picked her basket and turned to make her way to her home.

When she did, she saw a squirrel that was bleeding. Her heart thrashed. When she saw up, a hawk was looking down ferociously at the wounded animal from the orange tree it was perched on.