Vale

Tina sat curled up in a corner of the couch, reading a book. Newt's book, to be precise. She loved the book. It was fascinating. The loved the descriptions of the different creatures and the careful sketches. Newt had told her he had drawn them himself and she could see the care he had put in every line.

A moment later, the door to Newt's room opened and the man himself appeared. He saw what she was reading and a small smile formed on his lips.

"Good morning, Miss Goldstein," he said cheerfully.

"Good morning, Mr. Scamander," she replied.

"Can I change your bandages?" he asked.

Tina nodded and he quickly did so. When he was done, he handed her her potion and she drank it, making a face.

"This one tastes awful," she murmured. "The one I take in the evening tastes alright though."

Newt laughed slightly and reached up to smooth out Tina's bangs. A bit of the hair was stuck under the bandage so he carefully pulled it free.

"Do you know why I decided to get bangs, Mr. Scamander?" Tina asked.

"I'm not sure," Newt lied. "I think Queenie suggested it." At least the second part was true.

"But she's suggested it before and I've always refused. She always been telling me to care for my appearance. She always wanted, and still wants, me to wear dresses and she was always suggesting that I get a new haircut." Tina paused. "I never cared though? What made me change?"

Newt blushed slightly. Tina had told him the reason a few months before. She had admitted that she had accepted Queenie's offer to let her cut her hair the February after they had met. She had explained to him that she hadn't really known why she had suddenly started caring about her appearance but looking back she had realized it was because of him. He still remembered her exact words.

"You had turned my world upside down. Suddenly, things I had never cared for meant everything to me. I had never given magical creatures a second thought before. But after I met you, every time someone mentioned any of the creatures I had seen in your case, I wanted to know what they were saying about it, and to defend it if they were saying anything bad. If it was a creature I hadn't heard of, I wanted to know all about it, but I was too afraid to ask you. I didn't want you to know I found your work so fascinating. 

Another thing I had never cared about was men. I had never had a crush on a man or a boy, not even in school. But after we said goodbye on the docks, I couldn't get you out of my mind. Every little thing reminded me of you. Suddenly, I had this urge to look my best, just for you, though I didn't realize it at the time. I let Queenie cut my hair because I wanted you to like me and part of me thought that you wouldn't find me attractive the way I was."

Her words had touched him and he hadn't been able to forget them. He had replied by telling her firmly but gently that he found her attractive no matter what her hair looked like. She had laughed and pressed a gentle kiss to his lips. The kiss had quickly gone from gentle to passionate and had left them quite breathless at the end of it. . . . Of course, Newt couldn't tell her this.

"I guess you don't know," Tina said, her voice cutting through his thoughts. "I don't know why you would."

Newt's blush darkened and he refused to meet her gaze, embarrassed at having let himself get distracted with memories of a time Tina didn't remember. She stared at him.

"You do know!" she exclaimed. "Don't you?"

He nodded sheepishly.

"I told you?" She sounded surprised. "Well, what was it?"