Consolamini

The next few days seemed to crawl by. Olive obviously suspected something that something was wrong because she watched Tina with a worried frown and seemed reluctant to leave, but she didn't say anything, for which Tina was grateful.

Tina tried to distract herself with her work, but it was no use. The doubt still clouded her mind, making it impossible to focus on anything else. 

Even worse than the doubt was the guilt. She kept trying to remind herself that there was no reason to doubt Newt, and the fact that she couldn't stop herself made her feel incredibly guilty. She spent most of the time she wasn't trying to work curled up on the couch, trying to read.

During the second evening, Olive made a suggestion.

"If Harper and Newt aren't back by tomorrow, I could take a day off from work and we could go out and find something to do. What would you think?"

Tina shook her head and shrugged. "I don't know. I think I'd rather stay here."

"But you've been couped up in here for days," Olive protested.

"Maybe," Tina replied. "I'll think about it."

"Well, let me know."

She nodded noncommittally, taking another sip of her coffee. Olive went home so she moved to the couch with her book. Then she spent the next hour staring at the cover, not bothering to open it. 

She was so lost in thought that she nearly jumped out of her skin when the door opened and Newt trudged in, looking exhausted, but still grinning. 

"Hello, Tina," he called.

Once she recovered from her shock she gave him a genuine smile, her doubts momentarily forgotten.

"Hello," she replied, setting her book down and getting to her feet.

He dropped his case on the ground and pulled her into a hug.

"I've missed you," he said before pressing a brief kiss to her lips.

"I've missed you too. How did it go?"

Newt's grin slipped from his face. "About as badly as it could have gone," he admitted. "We spent days following lead after lead. Judging by the evidence, I figured they were using a Hidebehind to attack the No-maj villages. We finally caught up to them yesterday. Sure enough, it was a Hidebehind, but they had killed it and they were nowhere to be found."

Tina frowned. "That's horrible, but aren't you going to try to find them?"

He shrugged. "It's not my job. I've done my bit, Harper gets a couple of days off, and some other Aurors are taking over the mission."

She reached up to rest a hand over his cheek. "I'm sorry," she murmured.

He sighed. "It's okay, Tina."

He pressed a lingering kiss to her lips. Then he mumbled, "I really have missed you."

She smiled against his lips. "Me too."

Tina watched Newt as he moved around the kitchen, quickly preparing their supper. While she had forgotten all her doubts when she had seen him again, they were back again. The fact that he would choose to love her when he could have anyone else seemed absurd.

Newt had noticed her shift in attitude. She had been very cheerful when he first got back, all smiles and hugs and kisses. Now, she was curled up on the couch, watching him warily. He kept working, realizing it might not be a good idea to acknowledge it quite yet. He doubted she realized she was doing it and figured she didn't want him to notice.

It wasn't until they had finished their meal and were curled up on the couch together that he decided to bring it up.

"Tina?"

She hummed in acknowledgement.

"Is something wrong?"

He felt her tense in his arms.

"Why would something be wrong?" she asked. There was an edge to her voice that he knew meant that there was something wrong.

"You look upset," he replied.

"It's nothing."

"You know you can tell me anything," he reminded her. "Was it something I did?"

She hesitated before shaking her head.

"Did something happen while I was gone?"

There was another pause before she spoke. "I guess so."

"Okay." He tightened his grip on her. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I want you to know that you can."

"It's stupid," she mumbled. 

"I'm sure it isn't."

Tina shifted so she could rest her head on Newt's shoulder. "I went to MACUSA a few days ago and I saw Tolliver again," she explained. "He said things and-- Anyway, it's nothing."

"What did he say?" Newt asked. He didn't want to push her, but he needed to know if she was okay.

"He just tried to tell me that you didn't really love me and that you were taking advantage of the fact I couldn't remember you," she explained. He tensed so she quickly went on. "But I know he's just jealous and doesn't want us together. I know it's not true and it's fine."

"You don't look like it's fine," he pointed out. His voice was even and calm, but he was furious.

"I know, and it's stupid. I know you love me, but when you weren't here it was hard to remember, and since I can't remember anything we had before . . ." She shook her head. "Really, I'm fine."

He glanced down to find her avoiding his gaze. No matter what she said, she didn't look fine. He could see the doubt still present in her eyes. Pulling her closer, he pressed a kiss to her hair.

"It's okay to doubt me, Tina," he murmured. "I used to doubt that you loved me all the time. I didn't understand why you would choose me out of every other man in the world. I was a socially awkward man who prefered the company of beasts to humans, I still am. I couldn't believe that you would really leave an Auror like Tolliver to be with me, but I'm so glad you did."

"I don't even remember it," she said.

"I know, but I don't care. I still love you, and I want you to promise me one thing."

"What?"

He pulled back to look her in the eye. "If ever you doubt my love for you, please tell me. Then I can remind you how much I love you because I really do, okay?"

Her gaze dropped and she nodded slowly.

"Good." 

Newt rested a hand on Tina's cheek and she looked up again. Then she leaned forward and kissed him hesitantly, almost as if kissing him for the first time. He gently pulled her closer, trying to show her how much he loved her. 

Their eyes met as she pulled away and she offered him a small smile.

"I love you too, Newt," she said.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please vote and comment!

The title of this chapter is "Consolamini" which I think means "comfort" but I'm too lazy and in a hurry to check.

I really hate how short these last few chapters have been but I'm determined to finish this book and if short chapters are the only way to do it, then so be it.

I've got to go to worship now but at least this is done.

Enjoy!

(I think the next chapter is going to be something to look forward to.)

Have a good day!

Bye!

Published: 16 January 2020