Nativitatis

When Tina and Leta had returned to the house, Leta informed Newt that she would be sending Theseus over in the afternoon to help him get a suit. Then she had sent Tina up to put away the dress.

As soon as she was out of sight, Leta had grabbed Newt by the wrist and hauled him through the door to his basement. She stopped at the top of the stairs and turned to face him, a small frown on her face.

Newt started. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Did something happen?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "That's what I'm trying to find out."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm just wondering. Since Tina's accident, have you told her what you think about her eyes? You know, how you think they look like Salamander eyes?" Leta asked.

Newt blushed slightly. He had never been uncomfortable discussing that with Tina but any time it was mentioned by other people or around other people he suddenly felt awkward.

"Well?" she persisted.

He shook his head. "No, I don't think I've mentioned it. I've tried to avoid anything that could make her feel uncomfortable."

Leta's eyes lit up. "Are you sure?"

Newt frowned. "Uh, yeah. I'm pretty sure." He paused. "Why?"

"In that case, something did happen."

"What?"

"Well, we were walking along Diagon Alley and Tina stopped to look at a Salamander in a cage. She was telling me about Salamanders and talking about your name and then she mentioned that you had compared her eyes to Salamanders and thought she was beautiful."

Newt had looked down but his head snapped up as she spoke. "What?" he gasped. "Really?"

Leta nodded.

"What did she say, exactly?"

"She said you thought her eyes were like fire in dark water, like a Salamanders," Leta replied.

"She actually said 'fire in dark water'?" he breathed.

Leta nodded again. "Yes."

Newt looked through the doorway to where he could see the bottom of the staircase.

"She actually remembered that?" he murmured, a look of awe on his face.

"I don't know how much she's remembered," Leta admitted. "I didn't ask her about it. Maybe you should."

Newt nodded. "Right. I'll see you later, then."

"Theseus will be here this afternoon," she said. "Bye."

Leta left and Newt made his way up to Tina's room. Her door was open but he still tapped on the door.

Tina looked up from where she was sitting on her bed.

"Hey, Newt," she said.

"Hello, Tina. How was your shopping trip?"

Tina grinned. "It was great. Leta took me to a dress shop and then to a shoe shop. Then we got you a bowtie and-- and then we came back here."

"Leta said you saw a Salamander," Newt said.

Tina gave him a curious glance. "Why would she tell you that?" she asked, a faint blush appearing on her cheeks.

"It just struck her as odd that you knew about how I thought you had eyes like a Salamander," he said casually.

"But why?" she asked. "I mean, you told me so yourself, didn't you?"