Ocis

Tina clung to Newt's hand as he led her down the gangplank. Usually, she hated to admit if she was nervous but for some reason, it didn't seem to matter if Newt knew. She suspected that, if he had really been as close to her as he claimed, he had seen her at her worst, which was something she had rarely let anyone see. He was gently pulling her through the crowd. They came to the end of a long line and he stopped.

As the line moved forward slowly, Newt's grip on Tina's hand tightened. She glanced at him curiously but his head was bent and he was staring at a spot on the floor. He was holding his case by his side, nervously tapping his thumb on its handle.

"Newt?" she whispered.

His gaze slid into focus and he glanced at her. "Yes?"

"Are you nervous?" she asked.

He hesitated then nodded slightly. "A bit."

Tina gave him a curious look. "Why would you be nervous? You've done this before."

"Well, I've never traveled with anyone before, as in, someone I'm responsible for," Newt explained. "Usually it's just me."

"You aren't really responsible for me," Tina argued. "I am an adult."

"Yes, well. This is new to you so I feel responsible for you," he mumbled. "Besides, even before you lost your memory I felt responsible for you just because--" He broke off suddenly.

"Because you love me?" Tina asked softly.

Newt stood motionless, staring at the ground. Then he nodded almost imperceptibly. Tina gave his hand a gentle squeeze and his grip loosened. Neither one spoke as the line slowly moved forward. Soon enough, there was only one person in front of them.

"Tina, can I have your passport?" Newt murmured.

"Why?"

"He'll need to see them," he replied, indicating the customs officer.

"Oh, yeah." Tina let go of Newt's hand to pull her passport out of her pocket. Then she handed it to Newt. He pulled his own passport out of his pocket before moving both of them to the hand that still held his case. 

Tina quickly grabbed his free hand and they moved up to the counter.

"You're together?" the officer asked.

"Uh -- Yes," Newt stammered, unsure if Tina would be okay with what that could imply.

"Passports?"

"Right." He gently pulled his hand from Tina's and handed the man their passports. He glanced at them and his eyebrows rose.

"American?" he asked, looking up at them. Newt gestured to Tina and she nodded. Then the man flipped open the passport and glanced inside. He nodded before moving to Newt's passport. 

"You said you're together?" he said.

"No, we're, uh-- We're traveling together," Newt hastened to explain. "We're not together . . . together." He ducked his head, blushing fiercely. 

The man nodded again. "Can I see your bags?"

"Uh, yes," Newt mumbled. "Tina?"

Tina hesitantly set her case up on the counter. The man turned it around and opened it, briefly taking a look at its contents. Then he closed it.

"And you, sir?"

Tina quickly moved her case so Newt could set his up there. She watched nervously as he did so. His thumb passed over the lock, pushing a tiny lever down. A little tab popped up and Tina could make out the words "Muggle Worthy". The man took the case and looked into it. Then he snapped it shut and handed back their passports.