Litterae

"Mr. Scamander!"

Newt sighed as he heard Tina calling his name. He was sitting at the table, his notes spread out around him. It had been over a month since Queenie and Jacob had left and he had hoped Tina would have begun using his first name on her own by this point but she was still stubbornly calling him 'Mr. Scamander'. 

Tina came into the room.

"There you are, Mr. Scamander," she said, coming towards the table and dropping into the seat across from him.

"Please don't call me that," he said automatically. Then he ducked his head in shame. He hadn't meant to say that but he hadn't been able to help himself. He was tired of hearing her use his last name. It just brought back painful memories of their reunion in Paris.

"Call you what?" Tina asked.

Newt sighed. "Please don't call me Mr. Scamander," he said. "We're friends, we're currently living together, and you used to call me Newt." 

Tina scowled. "I still don't see why."

"Tina, you've known me for over two months now," he pointed out.

"So? I've known people for years and I still call them by their last name."

"Those are your coworkers, we're friends."

"Okay, then," Tina said. "Tell me, how long did it take us to get on a first name basis when we first met?"

"About a day," Newt said quietly.

"Oh," Tina frowned slightly. She hadn't expected that to be the answer. "But I like calling you Mr. Scamander."

"Well, I don't like hearing it," he mumbled.

She looked at him curiously. "Why?"

"Because it brings back bad memories when you call me Mr. Scamander the way you do." 

"What?"

Newt blushed. "Sorry, I shouldn't have said that."

Tina frowned. "Well, I'm gonna keep calling you Mr. Scamander until you can give me one good reason why I shouldn't."

She stared at Newt. He kept his head down, refusing to meet her gaze. 

"I didn't think so."

Newt bit his lip. "Can I at least call you Tina?"

Tina thought for a moment then shrugged. "Maybe. I'll think about it."

There was a pause. Newt sat staring at his papers but he didn't see the words. Tina was still sitting across from him, staring at him. Newt's gaze shifted to the floor. 

"I-is there something you wanted?" he asked.

Tina started. She had completely forgotten why she had come into the dining room. A frown formed on her forehead. 

"You made me forget," she snapped. Her eyes flickered to the papers on the table. "What is this mess?"

"Oh, this is my work."

"Your work?"

"Yes," Newt said, looking up. "The publishing company asked for a second edition of my book. It won't come out for a year or two but I'm working on it now."

Tina picked up a paper. 

"What's a Zouwu?" she asked.

"It's a large Chinese creature," Newt explained. "It's like a large cat with a mane and a long, beautiful tail. It's incredibly powerful and fast. They can travel a thousand miles in a day."