Memoriae

Tina blinked sleepily at the ceiling. For a moment, she wasn't quite sure where she was. Then she remembered she was in Newt's house. Specifically, in his room. A small smile crept across her face, but it vanished when she remembered why she was there in the first place.

The dream was still vivid in her memory. It hadn't faded as most dreams did. She supposed it was because she had dreamed about actual events and she was remembering what happened rather than what she dreamed. Her eyes were fixed on the wall in front of her and she tried not to think about it too much. It was too early.

She realised she was alone in the bed. Rolling over, she glanced around, searching for her fiancé. The room was empty. Letting out a sigh, she pushed the blankets away and sat up, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes with the heels of her hands and slipped off the bed. 

"Newt?" she called. She left the room and made her way downstairs, her bare feet padding on the wooden floor. "Newt?"

He appeared at the foot of the stairs and smiled up at her.

"Good morning, darling," he greeted. He slipped his arms around her waist. "How are you?"

A note of concern had crept into his voice so she offered him a reassuring smile.

"I'm fine," she promised, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "No more dreams."

"Good." 

He leaned forward and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. The kiss deepened and it was several minutes before they moved from the bottom of the staircase.

"We should probably go eat breakfast before it gets cold," Newt murmured.

Tina hummed in response. After one more kiss, she pulled away reluctantly and headed for the kitchen.

"I'm gonna be honest, I'm not looking forward to seeing Queenie," she laughed as she began eating.

"Why not?" 

"You know her. She'll start screaming."

Newt chuckled. "She certainly did get very excited the last time, and she knew I was going to propose."

They were silent for several minutes. Tina glared at her plate, trying to work up the courage to speak.

"Newt, how do I know if the memories I think I have are real?" she asked slowly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, how do I know if what I think I remember happening really happened or not?"

"Well, if it's something I was involved in, you could always try describing it to me," he suggested.

Tina nodded. "Right."

"Is there something specific you're referring to?"

"Well, I was thinking about the dream I had last night, you know, with the dragons in the cemetery?"

"Yes . . ."

"And then I was thinking about everything that happened at the cemetery that night. I know it's information I didn't have last night but it feels like it's something I've always know. The problem is, I can't be certain it's real or just something I made up from the information I was given," she explained.

"Well, what do you remember?" Newt prompted.

She frowned. "I remember arriving at the cemetery with you and Leta. She and I were in your case. I remember going into the mausoleum and finding Credence and two other people. One of them -- I think he was Leta's brother, but I could be making that up-- He was telling a story about himself and Leta and Credence. I can't remember all the details, but then Leta was telling him he was wrong. She said she had killed her brother. I feel like I remember that quite clearly.