Perceptions

James Pov

I haven't felt so at home, so welcomed since I was with my boyfriend Charlie. He showed me what true happiness was and if it weren't for us joining the whispers together we would have maybe stayed that way. The way Violet looks at Clem reminds me of the way Charlie used to look at me. I'm happy I decided to help her and Aj. Now not only do I have a home again, but I also have others to share it with, I haven't been around people in a while and kind of miss it. "Hey Violet is there anything I can do to help out", I ask? Violet looked down at the still sleeping Clem and back up at me. "Yeah actually, can you go hunting with Aasim and Louis", Violet ask? "Yeah...Okay, I can do that". "When do they leave", I ask? "In about an hour", she says. I look down at Clem her face buried in Violet's neck, "is she going to be okay", I ask? "I hope so", Violet says.

I decided to take over on guard duty until Louis and Aasim were ready to hunt. The other kids seemed nice enough though our view of the walkers seems quite different. I hear the creak of wood behind me. I turn around and see Aj. "What's up Aj, I say. "Nothin I just wanted to help you keep watch". "Uh, thanks-- I guess, I say. "Why were you out there all alone", Aj ask? "I'm not alone I have them, I say pointing to a walker approaching the gate. "The monsters- "They're not monsters, part of us is still in there" I raise my voice. Aj looks at me confused, "do you want me to kill", Aj ask? "Here throw this", I say handing him a pebble. I watch the walker roam free away from the school. "Haven't you ever killed them before, Aj ask? "I've killed many". "Well...What about people", Aj ask? flashbacks of the bloodshed during the whispers war fill my thoughts. the blade in my hand, the poor gargling as I slit his throat. "Many", I mumble. "I've killed someone too", Aj says. I'm shocked to hear that this child had killed a person. "Who", I ask? "Marlon, he used to be in charge here, but I shot him". "Now Vi and Clem say that I can't have my gun back until I atone", Aj says. I'm glad to hear that Clem and Violet had disciplined Aj, killing at such a young age it changes you. "How long have you known Clem", I ask. "She's been protecting me since I was a baby". "Now, I protect her", Aj says. Clem seems to have done an amazing job raising Aj. I mean she's practically a kid herself still. "What about Violet, I ask. "I've only known Vi for a little while, but I really like her she's nice". 

"Hey, James you ready to go" Aasim yelled. "How the heck did these kids survive so long being so loud", I ask myself. "Yeah let's go". "So... James you've been surviving out here all this time", Louis ask. "Well not at first. I was with a group we called ourselves whisperers. We learned to move amongst walkers, sometimes even guide them". "Why hell would you need to do that", Louis ask. This guy just really can't keep his voice down for life of him, I mean this is practically where I last saw the herd. "Because we were at war with a group up north". "We lost many and after that, I decided to stop killing but my boyfriend Charlie the war, those people, they changed him". I look over at Aasim and Louis. They look like they've seen a ghost. "What what's wrong, I ask. As those words left my lips the snarling of walkers filled the surrounding forest. "Just follow my lead and keep your voices down. "We don't need to harm them, I say. "We may not have a choice James", Aasim says. I look around and spot the herd, fortunately, the three of us are in the clear. Unfortunately, they seem to be on a direct course to the school. "We got to go now"!  

Hope you enjoyed this chapter. The last two or three chapters will be around 2000 words.