Chapter 12: Breakdown

"The reason our family has gathered here today is to welcome Brielle, Jake's girlfriend, into our family and introduce her to you. She can be shy, but she is beautiful and my son is very lucky to have found her. Hopefully one day we could all gather again to witness the couple say I do."

Everyone in the room listened intently to John, cheering and clapping when he said the words "I do."

"Without further ado, will Brielle please join me on the stage."

Brielle was nervous as she slowly rose up from her chair and took steps towards the stage, leaving Jake behind, not that she minded as she was mad at him.

It was silent. So silent that a pin could be heard dropping. The only sound that could be heard was the clicking of Brielle's heels as she walked. Everyone sat back at stared at Brielle with their beady eyes. Jake's eyes followed Brielle as she walked onto the stage and he couldn't help but look at her leg that was showing.

He told Brielle that she looked beautiful tonight, but to him, she was stunning. She was gorgeous. His heart beat a little faster when he saw her for the first time in the dress. She was breathtaking that he was stunned for a moment.

His guilt never truly left him whenever he shook it off. When he locked her in that unbelievably small room, it was like he locked himself in their too.

He was scared to admit it, but he couldn't deny the attraction he had to Brielle. It wasn't only a physical attraction, but an emotional attraction too.

He wanted to get to know Brielle, but he wouldn't let himself get attached because if he did, he was truly be heart broken when he let her go. He was supposed to feign being heartbroken and not actually feel it. He wouldn't allow himself to be heartbroken.

Jake stared at Brielle as she stood in front of the large crowd that was his family. She was standing in front of the microphone and his dad was standing behind her.

"H-hello," Brielle started, "I'm Brielle Bakermen."

That was the first time Jake had heard Brielle's last name. He liked her name.

"Brielle Bakermen," Jake lowly repeated.

"I'm Jake's . . . g-girlfriend."

Brielle swallowed after the word girlfriend was uttered.

John stood behind Brielle as he watched her be skittish. He quietly chuckled every time she would stutter.

Jake's family waited for Brielle to say something more, but she stood still, looking out into the crowd.

Brielle's hands started to feel clammy from all of the attention on her. All the eyes on her, judging in their own way. Her breathing slowly began picking up as she felt like the walls were closing in on her. She felt like she was back in that small room with no air or food. With no space. Her vision started blurring, but nobody knew her inner turmoil. Nobody was helping her.

Brielle wanted to curl back up on the floor like she did when she was in the room.

Jake, however, saw the dazed look in her eyes and how her hands were clutching her arms. He instantly stood up from his chair and ran onto the stage.

Brielle's ears were ringing. It was like she was under water.

Jake pried Brielle's hands off of her arms and saw blood dripping down her arms and blood on her fingertips.

"Brielle," Jake started, "baby, come on. You're okay."

Brielle didn't hear anything. She was too busy reliving her torture in the room. Tears gathered in her eyes and spilled onto her cheeks.