Chapter 35: Blame

Jake was more demanding and controlling than ever. He was always distracting himself by telling his men to do certain things or he'd drink his feelings away. He would do anything to keep from thinking of her. He can't have weakness. Nobody was allowed to talk about her anymore. They weren't allowed to think of her or say her name by orders of Jake. If they did, well it was simple, they were a dead man walking. Jake would put a bullet in their head. No mercy. The first time anybody uttered her name, they were taken and tortured and everybody had to watch. The one that was brutally murdered was the example. Everyone then knew Jake was serious and that they would indeed be dead if she was mentioned. So they all kept shut. It was like she never existed in their lives even though they made a major impact on the young girl's life. They continued their lives like nothing had happened. They followed Jake's orders and hunted down enemies. They killed and tortured.

"Boss," one of Jake's men called out. "We found him."

Jake smiled menacingly and stood up from his seat.

"Perfect," he muttered, stalking out the door.

---

"Oh my gosh, you're okay!" Bella, Brielle's best friend exclaimed, pulling Brielle into her house and hugging her to death.

"I won't be okay if you don't let me go," Brielle giggled out.

"Oh, right. Sorry," Bella said, pulling away from Brielle. They both laughed and went to Bella's room. Bella sat down on her bed after moving her laptop and patted the spot next to her. Brielle walked forward and sat down, getting comfortable on the bed she had sat on so many times before with her best friend.

"I'm sorry I missed your birthday," Brielle apologized, sad that she missed when her best friend turned the big one eight.

"Are you serious right now?" Bella asked in disbelief. "You were kidnapped Brielle."

"Can people just stop telling me that. You don't think I know that? I lived it! My gosh I can't get a break!" Brielle exclaimed, standing up and walking out of Bella's room. Bella sat on her bed for another second, surprised that Brielle had snapped at her. She then stood up and scurried after Brielle, wondering where she was going. Brielle opened the front door.

"Happy belated birthday," Brielle muttered out, closing the door behind her as she shut Bella out. Bella stood there, trying to not feel hurt because she knows what Brielle went through. She just didn't expect Brielle to change. She seemed like she didn't care. Bella let her go, knowing she had to calm down. She turned around and went back to her room, deciding to sleep on it.

Brielle had stalked out of Bella's house. She didn't look back. She thought that her best friend out of all people would've known that she didn't want to think about what she went through. But no. She had brought it up and brought back all the memories that she wanted to forget. She lifted her hand up and touched her arm, right where the branding was. A tear slipped down her cheek but she angrily wiped it away. She couldn't be weak or else it might happen again.

Brielle thinks it's her fault that it happened in the first place. She was upset that her family had forgotten about her and she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings like she normally does. But at the same time she blamed her family for forgetting her. If they didn't forget her, she wouldn't have been taken. It's all their fault. Not Brielle's. Brielle had made it home while she was lost in thought. She walked inside the house and went straight to her room. The house was empty and quiet.

Of course they aren't home, Brielle thought, sighing and rolling her eyes. She couldn't care less though. She went to her stash of candy and sat on her bed, eating one piece after the other until eventually, the front door opened. Brielle's anxiety spiked, not knowing who was home until she heard the voices of her family. Not wanting to deal with them, she put the candy wrappers on the floor and turned over, pretending to be asleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think of the chapter?

It was pretty boring, I know but the book is almost over.

What do you think the ending is going to be?

Bye my fellow Masqueraders

-Masquerade

Have a good day/night

P.S don't forget to vote <3