Chapter One

Katrina's POV

My life isn't great.

But I suppose others have it worse, so I won't complain.

My name is Katrina Irwin, the one and only.

You'e probably wondering: "Why is her life not that great?".

Well, reason number one - bullies. For a third of my life (five years - I am fifteen) I have been bullied.

Reason number two - family. My father is an addict, out of the house most of the time, and divorced. My mother is re-married, a lawyer, and rich. I have one brother, who is older than me. His name is Ashton Irwin. Which makes me Katrina Irwin.

Now a little about me. I am a lone wolf and a night owl, forbidden to the restraints of my social anxiety and insomnia, forever to see the stars when they shine the most and the people when they're at their worst.

I quite like my reclusive, sleep-deprived life, but my brother makes it nearly impossible. I get good grades. I have glasses. I don't have friends. Those three things are what he preys on the most. And the fact that my appearance isn't great. 

I try, I really do, but as he has told me plenty of times, I'm an ugly s*ut. The s*ut part is because I like so many bands. Ridiculous, right? 

"See you at school, Kat." Ashton spit, pushing my shoulder with his as we left the house. He's a jerk at home, and a bully at school. Along with his friends.

Tears swelled in my eyes when he said Kat. My old friend, Aiden, moved away a few years ago. He was my only escape, and I miss him too much for my own good.

Ashton pulled away from the house in his car, leaving me to drive. He doesn't want people to know about us being siblings, so I take my mother's maiden name at school. I strolled down the sidewalk, my heavy backpack sling over both of my shoulders. 

I was in uniform, which always reminds me of Aiden. He hated uniforms, said that they took away freedom and a way to express your self. I agree.

The dreaded school came into view, and I saw Ashton and his friends, Luke and Michael, waiting for me by my tree. It was where I always sat during lunch to do homework.

"Hello Katrina." Luke laughed, pulling my hands behind my back and holding me against his chest.

"Please, just - let me go." I insisted, struggling to free myself.

"But you haven't had your punishment yet." Michael taunted, lighting a cigarette. He smoked it for a second, then jerked my arm out, rolled up my sleeve (which revealed many, many scars) and stabbed me with it. I hissed, my knees loosening under me. 

Ashton slapped and punched me, and then Luke kicked my guts and ribs after throwing my in the ground. "Finish her off, Ash." Luke said, stepping back after three more cigarettes from Michael.

Ashton looked me right in the eyes, lifting me up slightly by my collar. He punched my eye, making me groan and fall back.

"See you later, b*tch." They left me bleeding on the ground. I heard a car engine rumble up to the parking lot, voices and then a door slamming. Whistling pierced my ringing ears, causing anothe groan to unwillingly escape my lips.

"Wha- Kat?!" I sweet and familiar voice said. I opened my sore eyes to see Aiden crouched above me, his eyes scanning over me with worry.

"Hi, Aiden." I whispered, and he brought me closer to him. 

"What, who did this?" 

"Can I please see the nurse?"

"Why- yes, of course, Kat." He lifted me up, taking me to the Nurse Office. She patched me up, stopped the bleeding on my head and lip, but an ice pack on the bruises on my stomach, and gave me a note for class.

"Thanks." I mumbled, walking out with an anxious Aiden.

"Katrina, tell me who did this and why!" He demanded.

"Tell me why you're back." I seethed, turning away from him to go retrieve my back pack from the tree. "And why you're at it, why you left me in the first place."

"That's not fair."

"Neither is leaving a note to your best friend saying: Oh! Surprise! I moved to another country without telling you the entire six months I knew I would be leaving."

"I didn't want to leave! You know that!"

"I know that letter said it."

"Kat. Hey, look at me." He took my hand, guiding me infront of him. His hand brushed my face, his eyes bearing into mine.

"Gosh I missed you, Aiden." I collapsed in his arms,my, Ndola his hand went to support my shaking head.

"It's okay, I'm here, I'm here." He whispered, holding his broken friend.