Chapter Thirty Five

Aiden's POV 

We arrived home in a few minutes, and I covered Kat's eyes before we went inside.

"What are you doing?"

"It's your birthday baby! I have a surprise!"

"Really?" She sounded shocked, and a little nervous.

"Yep. You okay?"

"Y-Yeah. Just haven't celebrated it in a really long time." She sighed, making me plant a soft kiss on her shoulder.

"Well now we're going to start. C'mon." I pushed her gently inside, walking behind her with my hands infront of her eyes. "Stair. Stair. Stair." I said as we climbed the staircase, slowly making our way to our bedroom.

"Okay, ready?"

"Mhm." I removed my hands, earning a gasp from her. "Aiden.."

"Do you like it?" She lifted the green dress off of the bed, running her fingers over the soft material. Simple but beautiful. Just the way she liked it.

"It's beautiful. I love it."

"Good. You can wear it to the surprise."

"What?"

"Didn't you really think I'd let such an important occasion slip by without making a big deal about it?" She turned to me, clutching the top of the dress to her chest as I set my hands on her hips.

"I didn't even remember it, honestly."

"Well now you're going to remember every year." I pulled her chest against mine, setting my hand on her back while the smile grew on her face. "Go change. I'm going to take a quick shower, and once you're done, wait for me." I combed a loose strand of hair from her face. 

"Thank you, Aiden." She gleamed as I went into the bathroom.

It took me ten minutes to get showered and properly dressed. I had already laid out everything before we left. I was wearing black jeans with a button-up shirt.

"Ready baby?" I asked as I went back into the bathroom, seeing Kat leaning over the counter, applying red lipstick. "Beautiful." I muttered, looking her up and down.

"Yeah, I'm ready." She turned to me, smiling. I took her hand and lead her to the car. She looked gorgeous in the simple but elegant dress.

"First, we're eating. But it's not fancy. I know you only like those occasionally, and since we did that a few days ago, I'm taking you to your favorite restaurant. Which happens to be a little fancy. And then- actually, never mind."

"No! What is it?" She turned to me, a wild expression on her face. "You can't just say never mind! That's not fair!" She jumped a little in her seat.

"Oh well... I have to keep it a secret."

"You liar. There's nothing keeping you from telling me."

"No, but I just don't want to."

"You're terrible."

"You're beautiful." Her cheeks took on a light pigment of red, and she sunk back into the seat. I grabbed her left hand, kissing her palm, and then holding it out infront of me. "What a nice ring, I wonder who got that for you." I chuckled and planted a soft kiss on the promise ring.

"You dummy." 

We arrived at the restaurant a short time later, and we walked in to be seated by kind waitress. We ordered waters, and she ran off to retrieve them.

"Darling, What are you thinkn' of getting?" I asked, setting my menu down to look at Kat. She had a distressed expression in her face.

"I can't decide between the grilled cheese with tomato soup or the chicken salad."

"Get so,etching more fattening. You're like a twig already."

"Not really."

"Kat-"

"Have you decided on what you would like to eat? Or do you need a few more minutes?"

"Er, I think we're ready." I said, glancing down at the menu again. "I'll have the steak."

"Um,  could I have the chicken salad, please?" Kat asked sweetly.

"Of course. They'll be right out."

"Kat, what do you mean-"

"Lovely day, isn't it?"

"No, don't change the subje-"

"Oh my God." He suddenly covered her face after looking out the window.

"What? Who-" I turned around to see Michael, Luke, and Ashton stumbling over each other as they failed their attempt at discretely watching us.

"Idiots." Kat chuckled as Luke tripped over Michael's leg, making them both go down. Ashton tried to pull Luke out from under Michael, and got dragged down himself. Michael looked up from underneath Ashton, who was yelling, and pointed to us.

He pushed Ashton off of him and tried to scramble away, but tripped over the a branch on the sidewalk. Luke managed to stand up, and he pulled Ashton up, who had fell again. We could see Michael yell damnit while Luke stumbled away awkwardly, with Ashton dragging Michael behind him.

"Oh my word. That's embarrassing." Kat laughed again, keeping her eyes on the boys.

"And here are your meals. Let ,e know if I cannot get anything else for you." The waitress dropped off our meals.

"That was quick." We dug in, occasionally turning to watch Ashton curse or Luke fall over air.