Chapter Twenty Three

Katrina's POV 

I awoke with a bright light shining in my sore eyes and a migraine attacking my head. I hissed as I sat up.

"Hello, sweetie. Glad you're awake. You've been out for a while." A smiley nurse gleamed as she checked monitors and things.

"H-how did the surgery go?" I croaked, and she gently pushed me back into a horizontal position.

"Rest, honey. And you did good. Nothing bad happened when you were under. Everything went perfect." That made a small smile come into my face, and suddenly Ashton came crashing in.

"Kat! Thank the Lord you're okay. I was worried sick."

"W-Why?"

"Oh, don't talk, Kat." Luke cooed after hearing my scraggly voice.

"No particular reason, just anxiety, you know? But listen, Aiden-"

"Is he okay? How badly was he hurt? I-"

"He's actually all good. Well, mostly. I mean, he broke a few bones and he got a few bruises and scratches in his face, but he's all good."

"Can I see him?" Ashton turned to the nurse.

"Can she?"

"I'll bring him in here. Just relax." She sighed.

"Thank you!" I called after her.

"How's your head?"

"Fine, I guess."

"Are you like, dizzy or something?"

"No. I'm fine."

"Here he is!" The nurse exclaimed as she pushed Aiden in while he was excitedly shifting in his wheelchair. His thigh and arm were wrapped, along with his torso.

"Hey, Kat." He giggled.

"Hey, Aiden." He came closer to me, taking my hand and kissing it.

"How you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess." Ashton awkwardly coughed.

"When will they be able to leave?"

"Mr. Gallagher can leave now, if he wishes, but paper work has to be filled out. As for Miss Irwin, she must stay for further testing."

"What kind?"

"M.R.I.'s, X-rays, and then just taking a few blood tests. We need to make sure that everything is fine before we can release her." 

"Okay, thank you." I turned back to Aiden. "You should sign out." 

"I don't want to leave you here."

"You won't be. You just won't be here constantly. And besides, you're taking up a bed that someone's else's needs more than you."

"Okay." Aiden looked at the nurse. "Can I get the paper work?"

"You will need an adult to sign you out."

"I'll do it. I'm over eighteen." The nurse lead Ashton out to where I'm guessing the lobby is.

"I need to learn her name." I muttered.

The next few days was spent with me doing tons of tests, and finally I'm free to leave.

"Ah, fresh air." I breathed in the wonderfully calming breeze, stretching my arms out.

"Missed it?"

"Tremendously." I slid into Ashton's car,  immediately seeing the half-empty cigar box. "Ash! You still do this?"

"What? You're a stressful person!" 

"You're stopping. You're practically killing yourself." I tucked the box in my jacket pocket.

"So?"

"You're young! You're poisoning your mind, lungs, and body. It's terrible. It's revolting. Disgusting. Repugnant. I don't care of you like it. You're stopping."

"I'll try. There." We pulled up to our house.

Suddenly all of the memories came flooding back.

"He's gone. Our father is here no more. He's in jail. Nothing can hurt you." I nodded, stepping out.

Ashton opened the door, and I felt a strong urge to cry. I fought the tears, but one managed to escape. I wiped it away and continued to look around.

"We're both going to have to work."

"Yeah. Well, if that's what it takes. And besides, we've got bank accounts filled with money, emergency funds, we'll figure it out. Okay? We'll be just fine, I promise."

"Yeah. Fine." Ashton wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "I have something to tell you..."

"Oh no."

"I've got a date. With Aiden."

"O-okaay.... Just, just don't let him touch you. And don't be out too late. And don't-"

"Drink or do drugs or smoke or have sex. I got it."

"Good. And if he makes you uncomfortable, just call me. Go into the bathroom and text me or something."

"Don't worry. He won't do anything."

"You sure?"

"Positive. Now I have to go get ready!"