Chapter Forty

Michael's POV 

Luke slowly drove us throughout our small town while Kat frantically tried to call Aiden.

"Aiden... please pick up. I really really need you to answer." Luke and I quietly conversed as she tried to contact him. 

"Okay, think. This is probably the smallest town in America, so Ash has to be somewhere here. Are there any like, warehouses, or... closed stores or something we could do?"

"Yeah. There's like ten abandoned places, two closed hotels, and four warehouses."

"Maybe it's not such a small town after all." Suddenly quiet sniffling brought our attention onto Kat.

"Kat? What's wrong honey?" Luke asked worriedly.

"Nothing, I'm fine."

"Please tell us."

"I'm fine."

"Ba-" Kat's phone began ringing.

"Aiden?" She asked into the speaker.

"It's your father." Her eyes widened.

"W-What do you want?"

"Isn't it obvious? I want you, little girl. Did you get my note."

"You bet your evil ass we did." I spit. The man on the other end of the phone chuckled.

"Nice to hear from you, Michael. Almost done beating Kat?"

"Shut your mouth you pathetic load of-"

"Michael." Kat cut me off.

"Look, I didn't call you to talk."

"Then why'd you call?"

"Because your boyfriend just sweetened the deal. Guess who I'm looking at right now?"

"Bastard." This time Kat swore.

"Say hello." Kat's father said, then a weak voice echoed through the phone.

"K-Kat."

"Aiden, are you okay? What did he do to you? Where-"

"Calm down, princess, your boy toy is fine." The nasty man spoke again.

"And Ashton?"

"He's fine too, but they won't be for long. You have two days, if you don't remember. I'll be in the park at midnight, if you don't show, I'll kill them both. If you do, they get to go skipping back to home and you come with me. Got it sweetheart?"

"Y-yes."

"Kat, don't do i-" Aiden's voice rang out one last time before the call was ended.

"What're you gonna do?" Luke asked.

"The only thing I can do. I'm going to give myself over."

"No." I said.

"I do what I want, and Ash's and Aiden's lives our in the line here."

"You're not going with him, but we'll get them back."

"How?"

"I have a plan. And hopefully, we'll all come out of it okay."