Chapter Five - Road Trip

My eyes snap open as I wake; immediately I notice the air is heavy with the scent of what I now think about in every passing second of my new eternal life:

Human blood.

My eyes move down to my hands, which I note are completely covered in the sticky substance. Taking notice of my surroundings, I realize I am standing in a forest. I have no idea where I am, and a body of a human woman lies beneath me, neck and stomach completely torn open and exposed to the cold night air. Her eyes stare into nothingness, an expression of horror etched upon her petite face. Clearly her impending doom was known to her in her last seconds, and it was not a quick death.

Obviously I was the one who killed her, the taste of iron on my tongue and the smell of it filling my nostrils. For the first time in a while, I felt full. In this moment, I remember what it feels like not to hate living, and large amounts of power run through me. I shudder in pleasure, joy lighting up like a fire within me. I feel like touching myself - just covering my body in this woman's blood. That's pretty gross, I think to myself, and pretty fucking messed up.

I shake my head, trying to clear the haze that's engulfed me. It's always hard to come back to my senses when I drink from a human. I don't feel anything quite yet, although the guilt is sure to eat me up by the next hour. That's when the feeling of euphoria starts to leave my body. Human blood is very effective, and keeps me full for awhile, but the good feelings that come with it don't last. After all, it wasn't too long ago that I was human too.

Sighing, I run my bloodied hands through my jet black hair. I never know what to do when this happens, since most people don't usually know how to hide a dead body. Although even if anybody caught me, I doubt I'd be brought in. It's hard to leave substantial evidence when you're a supernatural creature. My thumb print is different from before the change, so they wouldn't be able to identify me, and any DNA I left wouldn't be human, so they wouldn't know what to do with it.

I glance back down to the woman I killed, and nudge her a bit with my foot as I thought. I could do what I usually did, which was find a nice spot in the forest and bury the body, but I felt like after so many killings it'll only be a matter of time before someone finds one.

To be honest, it was really hard to think, because I was still stuck on the fact that this was happening at all. It's been awhile since I've fed while sleeping, and the last time I did it was when I was still new to the change. I thought I got a handle on it, since I eventually stopped, but now that it's happened again, a year later, I feel a bit disturbed. I needed to figure out what caused my relapse.

I sighed again and lifted her into my arms, princess-style. I remember I wanted to do this with one of my girlfriends back in the day, but never got the chance. Who knew that I would finally be able to, but it would be with a woman I killed and feasted on? The wonders of life, I suppose.

I moved to where I could carry her comfortably, and her head stopped rolling around. I quickly ran deeper into the forest, deciding to dig a grave for her where no one would think to look. As I ran, I thought about why I had another incident.

Flashes of Matt's attack on me appeared, and I realized the bloodlust from that day must've never cleared completely, which in turn caused me to have another episode. This made sense, so I just accepted this as the answer. I don't think it should happen again, since I'm full now and I managed to stop before. Still, the feelings of sadness and depression were starting to fill me again, and I couldn't stand to look at the soft cadaver in my arms, still warm but getting colder.

An hour or so later, her body was successfully hidden, and I zipped up my hoodie that I was wearing and rolled down the sleeves, trying desperately to cover up the dried blood on my arms and neck. My mouth and fingers no longer had any blood on them, but that's because I licked it all off. I just couldn't seem to help it.