Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Pancake Pals

"If I have to stop at another IHOP, Danny, I swear I'm going to fucking kill you."

The boy in question waves away my hollow threat and continues searching for nearby restaurants on Maps, clearly ignoring me as I notice him pause on every location with a breakfast menu.

We're currently in our car since we had to park someplace desolate where no wandering eyes could find us, knowing my appetite isn't quite so easily satisfied as his, and the method used for obtaining my meal isn't exactly accepted by the general public. He's the only one who has to eat human food, so of course he gets to choose where we go next, although after sitting here for so long and watching him pass over anything other than the same restaurants we always eat at, I wonder why he even bothers searching.

I silently gaze upwards, as if anyone in Heaven would be listening to my prayers, and give up on trying to convince him to eat anywhere else. This trip would definitely go a lot faster if we didn't have to stop to get him food or set up a soul eating ritual in a shady hotel room, but he can't help what he needs to survive just as I can't, although it'd be nice if he was quicker when it comes to choosing the place.

Not to mention I can't really judge, as there's also that other thing.

"You know that since we're together I don't always have to feed from you right?" I asked him a little bit earlier, Danny having just parked the car and already somehow managed to unbutton the top of his shirt to make it easier for me to reach his neck.

He looked confused. "What do you mean?"

I stared at him for a couple seconds, wondering if he was fucking with me, before eventually coming to the conclusion that he really didn't remember. "Well... don't you remember what the White Witch said...? I can hold off the murderous blackouts with blood, but also..." I trailed off, hoping he'd pick up on what I was trying to say. His eyebrows knit together as he thought, though he must've figured out what I was talking about since his eyes went wide and his cheeks turned a bright pink.

"Oh, you mean...?"

"Yeah." I nodded, confirming. "Sex holds it off too."

My heart beat as I waited for his reaction, and he ran a hand through his hair while letting out a breath. "Are you saying you want to... right now...?"

I jolted a little at that, not having expected the question. "What? N, No, that's not what I was— I was just saying," I scrambled, trying to come up with why I did feel the need to mention it, "I don't know, I guess I feel bad drinking from you all the time. If you ever wanted to try the other method, I wouldn't exactly, y'know, be against it—" I explained, and my own face warmed while I rambled like an idiot. It's not like it wasn't anything we hadn't done before, I didn't know why mentioning it now was so humiliating.

Danny smiled, probably trying not to laugh as he said, "Oh. Well, I don't mind you drinking from me. As I've said before, it feels good... though I wouldn't be against the other way either. If—if you want..." He offered, having glanced down at his hands which were placed on the steering wheel, my gaze following and allowing me to take notice of how tightly they were gripped.

I think I might've riled him up a bit.

I gnawed on my lip, knowing that yes, I really wanted to—

Plus, it wouldn't be so bad trying things out in new places. I've heard cars are fun.

Of course that leads us up to the present.

Danny's still a little disheveled from our time in the backseat, a flush to his skin that makes him look almost like a peach. He glances at me before returning his gaze back to his phone, tapping another restaurant and barely looking at it before shaking his head and sighing, continuing to scroll further. I roll my eyes, wondering when we'd ever get back on the road. Our time here has been fun, but he needs to eat and we really need to get home.