Chapter Seven - Adoption Agency from Hell

I'm not excited for this trip.

That's the thought running through my brain as I sat in the living room waiting for Danny to show up. He texted me this morning (I don't know how he got my number, but I'm guessing it was probably Anita) and let me know that he was going to pick me up. The thing was, he didn't specify a time or literally anything else, so I had to guess what I needed to pack and I've been sitting here waiting for a pretty long time. The clock read 3:00 pm and I can't help but think that this was a pretty late time to start heading off on an adventure. We didn't need sleep or rest, but most places close in just a few hours and he'll need to eat dinner at some point. Whatever, I'm just going to assume he has a plan.

By the way, I have no idea where we're going. I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about finding a lead on my maker yesterday in the cafeteria, but I wasn't listening. I'm starting to regret that while I'm sitting here wondering when he'll arrive.

Adding to my already growing list of worries, I killed someone again last night, and I have to admit that I'm a bit scared. I don't understand why I'm blacking out and killing again, especially since I thought I had stopped it. When I thought back, however, I realized I didn't really do anything to stop it in the first place. I just started drinking animal blood and it just did.

What if I hurt Danny on this trip?

I shake my head. No, I shouldn't worry about that. He's the son of Lucifer, he can handle himself. Although the idea of hurting him shouldn't make me upset, I still couldn't help but frown at the thought of it. If I hurt him, the trip would be over, I reasoned. I don't want to hurt anybody if I can help it, although the last couple nights' victims flash across my mind. I did that, I thought miserably.

Suddenly, the sound of a car horn brought my attention to the window, my eyes finding the sleek black car sitting in my driveway. Only one person I know has a car like that. I let out a breath and run my hands through my raven hair, preparing myself for what I was about to do. When I step out that door, who knows what's going to happen or who I'll find. I don't even know when I'll get back. I quickly snap out of my thoughts, telling myself that I'll be back soon and I should stop acting ridiculous. Danny knows what he's doing, plus he has his rich-people contacts.

"Bye moms!" I called out, hoping that they can hear me from their room upstairs. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but after last night I thought I should. I heard some muffled goodbyes back, and an I love you from one of them. I didn't want to leave, instead wishing I could go back into my bed and curl up into a ball, not doing anything.

I'm really not excited for this trip.

As I walk out the front door, Danny rolls down his window and gestures to my bag. "In the back!" He says, all smiles.

Okay, he's way too happy right now. I try to snuff out my irritation as I round the car and open the trunk, placing my bag next to another duffle similar to it, some food, and supplies. I don't know what any of it is or what it's for, but I'm guessing we'll need them at some point if he's bringing all of it along. At least, I hoped he wasn't the kind of person to bring unnecessary luggage. He kind of seems like he is though.

I go to the passenger side and hop into the incredible vehicle, admiring it as I sit down. I run my hands over the smooth leather seats, soaking up the design of the car's control panel. I say control panel because it literally looked like a fucking spaceship. So many lights, colors, and what looks to be holograms. I'm stunned, sitting there unable to speak. After a few seconds Danny clears his throat, getting my attention. I turn to him in surprise, I had forgotten he was even there. He chuckled.

"Don't forget to buckle up! Vampire or no vampire, car crashes are possible." He smiles at me brightly, and I feel irritation stirring within me again. I decide to roll my eyes and do as he says, strapping myself in and sinking into the expensive seat. I laid my head back on the headrest, tilting it slightly. I turn to look at the demon boy sitting next to me as he starts the car and places the gear in reverse.