Chapter Fifteen - A Bird

My eyes snap open at the sound of a distant scream.

I move but then realize that I am currently biting into someone's neck. The taste of their blood is filling my mouth, and I moan at the heat and thickness of it.

Unable to detach myself while I drink, I start to lose myself again when I hear a bunch of yelling. Jerking, I throw the woman's lifeless body away from me and stand as I wipe my face. I lick my lips and look down at all the blood, examining the person whom I've murdered. I could tell that whoever it was, they were completely human, which was a huge relief since I'm positive the werewolves would retaliate if I killed one of their own.

I don't remember how I got here, or how I managed to find a human woman, but I knew that I had to get out of here fast.

A bunch of voices remind me that there are other people nearby, and I look off in their direction.

"It took... daughter...help!"

Those are the only words I could pick up from how far I was, but I know as soon as I look down at the woman that she must be who they are talking about. Guilt consumes me, but I can't deny how much better I feel compared to the last few days, and I was grateful to have had something other than animal blood. I know I definitely need to talk to Danny about getting someone to bring some blood bags.

Looking around, I didn't have a clue where the fuck I was.

How do I get back to the pack?

I take in a long breath of air through my nose and pick up that strange scent of human and wolf, deciding to follow it.

I glance back at the young woman lying in the damp leaves on the forest floor, and I feel bad for having to leave her there. I didn't know where a good place to bury her was, however, so I had no other choice.

I don't think Jacob's family would appreciate me appearing with a woman's corpse.

Thinking about the werewolves, I remember that I'm supposed to be watched over at all times, and mentally curse myself for how much trouble I might be in when I get back.

Using my inhuman speed, I zip through the woods until things start to look more familiar. The sun is up and it looks to be early morning, so I can only hope that whatever time it is, it's too close to sunrise for anyone to be awake.

My silent pleas vanish when I start to hear a lot of people talking. Getting closer to the alpha's house which was located close to the edge of the forest, I plan to slip in without anyone noticing me. Peeking through the trees, I see a bunch of the townspeople all standing around together as if in some kind of meeting, the alpha himself in the front as he listens to their panic and worry.

I try not to listen in, not really wanting to know what all the fuss was about, but I pick up snippets mentioning a monster attack.

Are they talking about me? I wonder before finally reaching the mobile home.

Glancing around and trying very hard not to be seen due to the fact that I look like I came from a horror movie, I rush to the back door and pull it open. Relieved it's unlocked, I quickly run inside and up to my room, not running into anyone else in the house. I grab some spare clothes and keep them a distance away from my body, making sure not to dirty them. I peek my head out into the hallway and look back and forth before sprinting to the bathroom at the end. Slamming the door shut behind me, I lean back against it and let out a sigh of relief as I rest my head back against the wood.

I really hope they didn't notice my absence.

I glance to my left and catch my reflection in the mirror, freezing at the sight before me. My hair was an absolute mess, sticking up in odd places and just overall looking wild. My eyes held a frenzied look in them and my black clothes were made even darker by having been soaked through with blood. The red stained my mouth and neck, and I can't help but gasp a little bit at the horrifying picture in front of me.