Chapter Twenty Four - Like A Virgin

I froze when I came back into the house.

After taking a few minutes outside to talk to my moms on the phone and update them on what's been happening - missing quite a few important details - I come back inside to see Danny making something in the kitchen.

I have no doubt in my mind that he's making pancakes, and for some reason the sight seems oddly familiar, giving me the strange feeling of déja vu.

Unable to think of the reason why, I shrug it off and roll my eyes as I lean against one of the old chipped counters.

"You're seriously making pancakes again?" I ask, Danny barely glancing at me before smiling and continuing with what he's doing, a mess of flour smudged against the side of his face and all over his hands and clothes. "We literally just took a shower and you already made a mess. What's the point?" I sigh, throwing my hands up in defeat.

Danny chuckles before turning to me, a soft smile and a bit of a blush on his face.

My heart can't help but pound at the sight, however I only give him a frown in return.

I really shouldn't be feeling like this.

"Pancakes should be ready soon." He says happily, making me shake my head in exasperation.

"I don't even know how you got all the ingredients." I say, causing him to instantly perk up as he gets ready to tell me. Oh joy.

"I went over to the little grocery store and you'd be surprised with what they have! Of course it's all a bit different because it's a different country, but everything I need for pancakes were still there. The employees were really kind too, an older lady gave me a UFO car air freshener because she said I made her smile." He hums cheerily, a pink tint to his face as he says the last bit. I can almost feel the warmth coming from him and his positive mood, although for a second I can't help but feel a bit irritated.

How the hell is he so happy all the time?

Of course I've seen past the mask a few times when Danny's allowed some of the darker parts of him through, but during these kinds of moments it's extremely hard to tell that he would have any problems or negative emotions at all. It just goes to show that you really can't judge a book by it's cover.

"Hm. Good for you then, I guess." I say, scrunching my face up a bit as I realize that now we'll have another useless piece of junk in our car. He's totally going to ruin the cool look of the expensive vehicle's interior by adding the small geeky UFO and have it hang from the mirror. Damn.

Danny nods.

He flips the pancakes a few times again and soon enough they're all ready to eat. He motions for me to sit down, which I reluctantly do, before putting the food on a couple plates and setting them down while sitting at the table across from me. He hands me silverware and looks excited as I look down at the food on the plate in front of me in confusion.

"You made me some?" I ask even though the answer is obvious. He smiles.

"I decided to try something new and wanted you to taste it for me. I know you're not a big fan but I'd really appreciate it." He says, urging me to take a bite. I sigh before looking at him.

"I'd rather have a bite of something else." I say suggestively, glancing at his neck before looking back up to his eyes. What can I say, his blood is  delicious.

He blushes.

"Well then you can have some later, but right now pancakes are what's on the menu." He jokes, allowing me to roll my eyes before doing as he says and cutting a small piece out of my flapjacks.