Chapter Twenty Three - Monsters Vs. Aliens

"Fuck."

The perfect word for this situation.

The both of us are standing here on the side of the road since Danny's car is once more out of commission. Although now it's because we simply just ran out of gas. Who knew that driving in the middle of fucking nowhere would mean that there would be absolutely no gas stations around?

Not us, apparently. God we're so fucking stupid.

We're currently in Australia, Danny's contacts having provided a ship to carry both us and his new car across the ocean, luckily allowing us to have some way to get around without resorting to public transport. I guess Danny knew as well as I did that having me in a cramped area full of warm-blooded humans is probably not the best idea. I mean I could barely stand being in a classroom, never mind being smushed up against a stranger in a bus or taxi.

From what Danny's GPS told us an hour or so ago, we're still not even near Melbourne. We're somewhere in the Red Centre and both of our phone signals keep cutting out so he literally has no way to get in touch with his contacts to help us out.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure "fuck" is completely suitable for our current predicament.

I walk over to a boulder and kick it hard in anger, creating a large crack along the center of it.

"Well what the fuck are we supposed to do now?" I grumble in frustration, wanting to be anywhere else but here.

Danny sighs, probably already tired of my bad attitude, or he's just as aggravated about this as I am.

"Asher, kicking stuff won't solve anything," He states simply, making me roll my eyes.

"Yeah but it might make me feel better."

Danny shakes his head.

"I think I have an idea for what to do." He tells me, causing me to shoot him a look.

"Well why didn't you fucking say that earlier, dipshit?" I huff.

He sighs.

"I would have but you were too busy throwing a temper tantrum and I didn't want to bother you." He says smugly, making me want to punch him again.

"Fuck off."

He chuckles at my crude response before pointing to the sky.

"I'm going to fly up and try to spot a nearby city, I'll let you know if I find anything."

Before I can respond his wings are already shooting out of his back and he takes a deep breath, stretching the leathery red appendages out far before giving them a harsh flap, the air around us moving as sand picks up and blows away. I stand there and watch in bewilderment - I always do when he shows any parts of his demon form - until I see him grow more and more distant into the bright blue sky.

After a few minutes I decide that he probably won't be back anytime soon and I sit down on the rock I cracked earlier, reaching into my pocket and bringing out my AirPods to listen to music while I wait.

It's about a half hour later that he finally lands back on the ground. His face is flushed and he seems rather excited, making me wonder if he really went up there just to search for something.

"What did you do, fly around and do some fancy air tricks?" I ask in a bored tone.

He beams, his green eyes sparkling and causing my heart to flutter.

Goddamnit.

"I may have taken some time to try flying around. There were a few birds up there so I followed them and it was actually a lot of fun. I don't think I've ever been able to just fly freely like that before." He says excitedly, wonder clear in the tone of his voice.