Chapter Thirty One - The Monster Mash

Danny walks back into the room with a wide smile, the sound of him humming cheerfully has me glancing up at him with a scowl.

I'm sitting on the edge of the bed, having spent the last hour scrolling through Instagram on my phone as I waited for the demon boy to come back from eating breakfast, not exactly pleased when he ripped himself from my arms this morning and told me to pack up our stuff as he quickly dressed and barely managed to tell me where he was going as he walked out the door.

Yeah, that was kind of a dick move.

He smiles sheepishly as he picks up on my sour mood, hopefully realizing that he fucked up. He hovers near the doorway as he shifts from one foot to another, opening his mouth and talking slowly as if I'm about to attack him. I won't, but I don't mind making him scared for a little bit longer out of pettiness.

"Okay, you're probably mad that I left like that earlier..." He trails off and I glare at him, crossing my arms. Of course I'm mad. "But there's a reason for it, and it's definitely great news."

Now I'm curious. Great news?

He grins widely as soon as he sees my facial expression shift away from anger.

"Well, you already know that my parents are high officials in the monster community, but what you don't know is that it's also because they donate a lot of money to different organizations, not just being loyal to Satan. Because of this, they're always invited to this large party every year for the community's higher-ups that they never go to because they're too busy with work." He tells me, making me grow more and more interested. Is he going to say what I think he's going to? He seems to understand that I'm catching on and nods excitedly. "So, after talking to them and feeding them some crap about me being Satan's son and how I should grow connections and whatever, I managed to convince them to send us their tickets."

I stare at him. Honestly I'm not sure if I'm excited, amused, anxious, or irritated - parties and crowds aren't exactly my thing anymore - because I've never been to a monster party (monster mash?) so it might actually be pretty interesting, not to mention a once in a lifetime experience.

"I know, I know - you're probably trying to wrap your head around it. But listen, this is the perfect opportunity! This party usually has the best of the best out there, meaning all of the oldest vampires are invited. Asher, your maker might be there!" He exclaims delightedly, looking way too cheerful about this. I mean sure, we'd finally get to see her, but I still can't help but feel extremely anxious at the thought of us actually meeting. I mean, not only did she literally abandon me, but I'm not exactly someone that most people would be proud of. I stare at Danny blankly and his face falls a bit as he hesitates. "What's wrong? Did you not want to go? I can't really tell what you're feeling right now." He asks nervously.

My eyes widen in surprise - I guess he really wouldn't be able to tell, since even I don't know what the fuck I'm feeling. It's all kind of a jumble of emotions, so I just sigh as I shake my head.

"It's okay, yeah - I'm just kind of, um, conflicted I guess." I tell him, my eyebrows knitting together as I bite my lip nervously. Danny lets out a breath, walking across the room and sitting down next to me on the edge of the mattress.

"I can see that. I mean, I guess I can understand why, but Asher - you have nothing to worry about. Your maker may or may not be there, and if she is, that means you can be registered officially and we can even register as mates." He tells me, picking up my pale hand and placing a soft kiss across my knuckles as he gives me a small smile. "But whatever happens, I'll be there with you. Plus I get to see what you look like in a suit, which is definitely something to look forward to."