Chapter Thirty - Trapped

With everything that's happened in the last few months, it's not surprising that I finally crash.

"Asher, you can't just lie in bed all day."

And, of course, Danny is really getting on my nerves again.

I don't make a sound, further wrapping myself in the hotel's comforter as I lie in bed, not sleeping but definitely not willing to move either.

I don't want to do anything.

A loud sigh can be heard from outside of my cocoon, but I still don't try to respond. It's his fault that he's getting upset over this, I've told him plenty of times that I'm a pain to be around and I'm broken.

It's not my fault I can't function sometimes.

I feel the side of the bed dip and know that Danny's sat down beside me, but I don't leave my makeshift shelter to look at him. I'm done for the day - maybe for the next few days - and I'm not moving unless it's to pee.

I'm fucking tired.

It's not a physical kind of tired, since I'm a vampire and can easily get rid of that with a few drops of blood, but a mental exhaustion caused by constant social interaction and my depression. I've done this before with Danny here, but usually it's while we're in a car for a few days on the road, giving me more than enough time to recover. This time though, the crash is happening while we're in a hotel, meaning I'm not going anywhere and we're stuck here until I feel like my limbs aren't made of lead.

He should know that by now.

"At least eat a bit, or else you might accidentally kill a bellhop by the time you feel better."

This has my attention, since I can't exactly argue with that. It's already been over a day or two since I've drank any blood, and I don't know when I'll be out of this funk again. Hell, blood might even make me feel a little better.

Instead of getting out like he was probably hoping, I turn to face him and open up the blanket, exposing my barely clothed form - it gets hot in here so I'm only wearing my boxers - and holding out my arms for him to come to me. He frowns, shaking his head.

"No, if you want to eat, you have to come out of there."

I huff, whining a bit.

I start to turn over again, my stubbornness not letting me give in to his wishes. If I kill someone, it's his fault.

"Wait, wait. Don't turn back around." He says, rolling his eyes as he peers up at the ceiling, probably asking the heavens why am I mates with this giant stubborn baby?

I know I'm being difficult, but I refuse to do anything that requires even minimum effort at this time.

I turn to face him again, opening up my blanket once more to welcome him into my bat cave. He sighs, shaking his head in disbelief before standing up, the movement making me peer up at him in confusion.

"I'm going to strip a bit too, it looks way too warm in there." He explains, unbuttoning his shirt and pants and letting them fall to the floor. I watch him with a flat expression, not exactly minding the little show I'm getting.

Making him come in here with me was a great idea.

Danny shoots me a look, clearly knowing exactly what I'm feeling.

I shrug, it's not my fault he's kinda hot.

For once I'm glad that he can mostly tell what I'm thinking, since words feel like too much right now. I don't want to speak, or even think, just lie here and pretend like I don't exist.