Chapter Six - Punk's Not Dead

As promised, I decided to tell my parents about the trip. However, knowing the reaction I'd be getting, I'm waiting until after school to drop the bomb. After all, I'm still trying to think of good ways to tell them. Should I mention that I'm forever changed into a blood sucking monster, or should I just skip that and lie about discovering myself or some other kind of young adult spiritual bullshit?

I have no idea.

Entering school for possibly the last time, I manage to make it to all of my earlier classes without being late. So far, the day has been peaceful without any problems. Walking down the hall on my way to lunch, the peace - like usual - didn't last.

"Hey faggot!"

I sigh, slipping my air pods in and ignoring the meathead shouting insults behind me. Once again, this must've been the wrong move on my part, because the next thing I know, a pair of large meaty hands are shooting out from behind me and snatching them out of my ears. I startle and turn around, livid.

"The fuck, Matt?" I snarl, attempting to grab them back from his sausage fingers.

He looks a bit shocked at my reaction, but keeps the air pods out of my reach. I feel myself seething, I didn't like anyone messing with my music. Just one more day, I think to myself.

"What? Is the small emo upset that I took his crybaby music? You gonna cut yourself over it?" He taunts. I cringe at some of the insults, because even if I don't take much offense to it being directed at me, I know that what he said wasn't okay and definitely shouldn't be used on anybody else.

"Matt, give me my AirPods back." I demand, holding out an open palm. He looks down at it and back to my face, and I notice his expression twist up in anger.

"Are you telling me what to do, Asser? I think the fuck not." Then, like the brilliant person he is, he takes the AirPods into his gorilla hands and smashes them. My extremely expensive, worth-my-arms-and-legs AirPods, now no longer worth anything. My precious items reduced to just small pieces of metal and plastic. I saw red.

"Hold on, hold on!" Shouted a voice behind me as their arms clasp around my body, holding me back with all their strength. "Asher! Asher, calm down." The voice says, talking into my ear, but I just thrash against his hold, attempting to rip free and tear the boy in front of me to shreds. My one happy place, my music, taken away from me. It was unforgivable. "Asher, please. I'll buy you new ones. You have to calm down." The voice sounded urgent, almost begging me to stop. I finally listen at the promise of renewed AirPods, and start to calm myself down, blinking the red away from the edge of my vision. I then noticed Matt was no longer towering over me, but instead lies flat on the ground as though I had pushed him. I didn't remembering doing it, but in all honesty I probably had. The look of raw fear on his face had me sobering up, and I froze, licking my lips. What did he see? I wondered. Out of all the people I wanted to know my secret, Matt was not supposed to be one of them. As if on cue, the voice whispered into my ear, their arms tightening a bit around me, as if nervous about my reaction. "He saw your eyes." As my heart started to beat rapidly, thinking about what this could mean, I finally figured out who was holding me.

I looked up into Danny's face, and he surprisingly looked pale. I've never seen him with such a worried expression on his face, but I quickly shove him away from me.

"Don't touch me again." I growl. He just puts his hands up in front of him like a surrender, backing away for about two steps. Matt, who had laid frozen on the ground, finally scrambled to his feet. He stalked towards me, poking his finger aggressively into the middle of my chest.

"You. What the fuck are you?" He hissed, a slight tremble of fear and resentment in the tone of his voice. I just gave him a look of confusion, playing off that I didn't know what he was talking about. He scoffed. "No, don't give me that shit. I know what I saw. Your eyes were glowing. You- you were going to kill me." I just widened my eyes in fake surprise, placing a concerned look on my features. I shake my head.