3O. Scenery

"Taehyung is finally coming home. We'll be holding a small get–together to welcome him. You're invited to come, along with your family," grandpa Kim said.

"Thank you. I'll let my family know." I incline slightly thanking him for the unexpected invitation.

"Aren't you happy? He's coming home and he's got a lot of plans and most of them include you in them. I think, he's planning on staying this time around." Grandpa Kim is so sure the plans involve me. He looks at me to see if I'm guarding a nonexistent happiness to myself. His words would've been cause of happiness months ago but today I'm indifferent to them. Does he even know that Taehyung and I haven't spoken in months? Last time we talked was a brief conversation over the phone; in which, I tried not to be awkward. I didn't ask why he called after months of not having word from him, didn't ask anything.

I didn't know him anymore. That didn't mean I wasn't happy for grandpa Kim; for Taehyung to come back was good news for him. He was more than willing to have over his farm to Taehyung and have a nice retirement. I think, he's been waiting for Taehyung to come back before making it official. It wasn't a fact but my personal opinion based on talks we've had.

"I'm happy for you, I am. It'll be good to have him here, see another face around here. You'll have some company." I smile. There was no reason to be bitter about it.

"Yeah, I'm getting old. I need people around me at this age. You don't come to visit me as often as you used to." He's not accusing me but I can sense his curiosity. He wants to know my reasoning behind the few visits.

"The reason is I don't live on the farm anymore. It's been about a year, now." I probably should've said something to him before but I didn't need everyone knowing I went back to the city. The less people that knew the better. I've been hesitant to tell him anything because he had connections there. And I don't want to somehow find myself in a situation where I have to face Mister Jeon.

My family, they were the only ones who knew. There was uncertainty to tell grandpa Kim because it could cause trouble. The Kim's have a lot of money, power, and influence; they had business in the city. I don't want to think or consider that somehow they know Mister Jeon. Even though, our story happened many years ago, I wasn't sure if I would be alright seeing him. I don't want to find out he did the same thing he did to me to someone else. I'd be disappointed to learn he didn't learn from the mistakes committed. He hurt the people around him, lied to me and his family. It would be upsetting seeing him again.

"I haven't heard about it. Did you move to town?" He voices concern.

"No, Jiminie and I— I mean, I kinda need to finish my degree. The junior college around here doesn't have all the courses I need." I'm trying to avoid saying any further.

He doesn't look pleased that I mentioned Jiminie and it's probably because he doesn't know Taehyung and I aren't even remotely friends. Not only that but adding more is like saying I went back to the city instead of moving to the next town over. I couldn't just say everything without having regrets. I don't want to upset him further.

"You mention that young man often. He must be a very good friend."

"He's great! He helps me take care of Jisoo and is the most supportive of my crazy plans." I try to keep things from becoming too awkward here but in afraid I failed. I'm not sure what to say anymore. Perhaps, it's better to ask when Taehyung is arriving. Taehyung is a safe topic with grandpa Kim.

I'm happy to see Jisoo running in before continuing a conversation which was becoming awkward. She sits on my lap tiredly. She's grouchy because she's used to nap time at this hour. I feel blessed when she asks to go home. That was my excuse to get out of further conversations and go home. I've never been so happy to leave the Kim household so quickly.