4a. Twist of fate

I entered home knowing that I had to see Mister Choi before eating with the family. This man always had to know how the company is doing. He's overbearing. He has left a message with my secretary which very clear, he wanted to discuss some issues before dinner. This only meant that he wanted me home for dinner without excuse. This couldn't be good, he probably had something to say about one of the business deals. There was something always wrong with the way I do things or my vision of it all.

Frankly, I was tired of hearing him talk negatively about me and my work. Even in his deteriorated state he managed to be a stubborn man. A man who always had to go against me. There was no doubt in my mind that he hated me. Throughout the years he learned how to irk me with the smallest of things.

I went to Mister Choi's room where he waited alongside Yoongi. Yoongi continues to be the company lawyer and my friend. This wasn't a good start. YoonGi hadn't told me about coming here. He withheld information from me which rarely happened. I don't know what to make out of this. This could be trouble.

My mind began to wonder the reasons of my meeting him here with Yoongi. Then a lightbulb went on in my head. I wasn't in trouble at all— this was purely business. The male heir moved in and Mister Choi was going to hand over the company to his only son. It all made sense now. The kid would finally take charge of the company. This was my break from having constantly breathing behind my neck. I'd be free from this hell.

"Hello," I say calmly. There wasn't much to say in this sort of unexpected situation. I stood here waiting for him to speak and let me know anything. I expected anything but a praise or a thank you for all I've done.

"Sit down." His words towards me are always in a demanding demeanor. Something that still ticks me off every time we speak.

Yoongi is quietly standing by his side, he's probably waiting on orders. Mister Choi likes to have everything and everyone under control. One of the reasons I hoped he would get better so we could go back to our home. I couldn't see him everyday without thinking I was going to snap on him. That was one of the reasons we moved out years ago and now we were back with the excuse of his health. He wanted family close by but that was questionable. I think, he just wants to kill me of stress and have everyone in close eye.

I sit down calmly in front of him. His eyes like hawks, trying to see every little detail. I always feel uncomfortable and like a criminal before him but I try my best to appear unbothered. Perhaps, throughout the years I've gotten much better at it.

"Taehyung is back." I was right to think this was mere formality. "He's going to take charge of the family business. It's time for him to see what the family business is all about. Since, I'm in no health to show him the ropes, I want you to do it. Just don't show him bad habits." It pains him to ask me for a favor. It's sad that he can't trust me; after all, we are family.

I look over at Yoongi who doesn't even look at me. He's just staring at the wall ahead of him, like some puppet. He knows what to do in order to keep his job. You've got to admire that but also hate it. Hate that we all have to submit to this man who questions everything.

Mister Choi goes into detail about what I'm supposed to teach him and lists my "bad" habits. They have nothing to do with my work. It's all by the book but I just do it my way. Thankfully, it didn't take long for Taehyung to interfere. He was gracious enough to point out we had little time to go over everything. I hadn't even noticed him— he had been there the whole time sitting down and waiting patiently for his time to speak up. I wasn't sure if what to make out of it.

Yoongi began explaining that there was some documents that needed signatures to make everything official and the content of the documents. I had paid attention but what drew my mind more was Taehyung. The shock of seeing what used to be scrawny kid turn into someone who most would consider a gentleman was overwhelming. He wasn't a kid anymore, he was a man. A man taller than the men in this room, appeared serious, a handsome face, his build was strong, posture erect without flaw.