Chapter Four

What the actual fuck?

Xavier Rodriguez. One of the richest men in America wants to go on a date with a girl like me. No. No. That is not possible. I am just dreaming and when I wake up, I will get out of this beautiful dream of the Rodriguez family.

This is not possible.

I gulped and pinched myself. I closed my eyes when nothing happened, and pinched myself again. This is not really happening. This is just a dream. It is not possible he likes me.

I opened my eyes and saw Xavier smiling sweetly at me like nothing is happening. As if, he is confident that I will go out with him. Well, it's true that Mr. Rodriguez likes me, but I'm not going out with Xavier. No.

I don't... I can't go on a date with him. What if he leaves me and goes out with Sarina? No, I won't be able to handle that again. I can't. I don't want to get hurt again. I've been hurt enough.

I gulped and stared at Xavier. It's not possible for a man like him to like a woman like me. It's just not possible. There was absolutely no hint of playfulness around in his eyes and that's what scared me the most.

"No. I can't go on a date with you." I blurted bluntly.

His smile fell and I stared at my hands in my lap. I didn't mean it in an insulting way. I just won't be able to handle another heartbreak again.

"W-what do you mean you can't go on a date with me?" he looked sad.

"Sorry Xavier. I can't. I don't think I'll be able to handle something like this again." I said. "And I barely even know you. I don't know anything about you."

"B-but we can get to know each other, right?" he said hopefully. "Then I can take you on a date, right?"

"You don't get it, Xavier. We can't date! Why don't you get it? Look at me and look at you. We have a huge gap in personality, looks, and living conditions. We can't date." I rooted. "Ever."

---

I stared at the ceiling. I just couldn't sleep. The event of today's evening was rumbling in my head like a tornado. I somehow felt bad doing that to Xavier.

His eyes held so much hope and I just ruined everything, but then again, what if everything was a joke? Did he mean it? Is he serious? What would have happened if I said yes? Would I be with him forever or would he turn like Aidan, leave me, and go with Sarina?

All these questions are occupying my whole brain right now. I can't think straight. The curiosity of what would have happened if I said yes was eating me alive.

My head started hurting and my eyes started feeling heavy. The moment I closed my eyes, I was dazed into the darkness of my dreams.

---

"Hadley, there is someone at the door for you!" Sarina yelled from downstairs.

I sighed and walked to the door. I saw John standing at the door, smiling warmly at me.

"Good evening, ma'am— I mean Hadley." he grinned.

"Hello John. What are you doing here? Is everything okay?" I asked.

He smiled and handed me a bouquet of red roses. "This is for you. I'll be by the car." he said, confusing me.

I took the roses along with the card. I was sure that Sarina was watching me curiously right now and it felt so good.

Dear Hadley,

I know that what happened yesterday was a bit too much for so fast. Therefore, I wanted to apologize for everything yesterday that offended you in any way. The only thing I want to ask you is, to at least be my friend. I know that you don't want to date or anything like that, so I promise not to do anything that you won't like. I just want to be your friend. If you don't have any problem with that, please enter the car with John and he will drive you to my house. If you don't want to, I will consider you my best friend in my imagination and die alone.