They're Just Missing In Action

Location:
Overwatch Main Base

Time:
8:14

Date:
Months later
_______________________________________

(Y/N)'s POV

News Media: "This just come in that... that we have a confirmation of another... MIA Spartan, being now the fifth Spartan to go missing in a span of only three weeks."

The news reporter lady was holding back on her emotions after she spurlted out the words that would make the innocent people feel a sense of defeat watching at home. She tightened the grip around her two hands holding together and began reading to convey more information to the public.

News Media: "Spartan Isaac-039, has been report as missing in action. The UNSC have stated that his current whereabouts are simply unknown, but they are reassuring that he is still active and fighting and that he will return safely with the other Spartans because Spartans never die..." The report left off before switching to their daily news report.

The mess hall during breakfast was quiet, empty and lonely when I was sitting down to consume some pancakes. A few weeks ago the mess hall would be joyful, hearing the chatter of fellow Overwatch operatives when they returned from battle or just simply woken up. But not today. Today it was just me all alone eating a pile of sad pancakes that had begun to get soggy. Hana being the best girl I could every have in the world would normally be there for me, sitting next to me. But with recent news and the fact that she knows how devastating it is to have another Spartan, another one of my fellow Spartan family to go missing is heartbreaking. So she and many others are leaving me some alone time.

It was getting near ten when I finished up my meal. I had never taken up that amount of time to consume some simple pancakes, but I managed to do so today. I wanted to return back to our shared room to maybe get some extra rest thinking it may help with my problems but a sound of loud annoyance mixed in with hard vibrations smashed the mood. Pulling out the phone from my pocket I see that I had received a text from Jamie.

Jamie: "The UNSC needs you back for Isaac. Best not to bring anybody. Cant alarm the public" sent 9:58

With no urge to leave a reply I make a quick break back to our room packing what was needed and leaving a note on a pink bunny theme sticky note I found in Hana's drawer. Writing down "Going for a walk, hope to be better later - your Spartan :)" before stamping it on the corner of Hana's monitor and dashing it outside to find a covertly sent in Pelican for the trip back to base, my original stationed base.

Upon arriving, Jamie and Daniel were being dressed in the same uniform we wore during the small funeral we had for the passing Spartans that were killed by those augmentations we all underwent. Jamie was the first one to approach me with a hug, followed by Daniel. We were all feeling very vulnerable before we all clashed in for a bear hug, putting us in a state of confort for eachother.

Jamie: "Glad you could make it." Jamie says right after she departed from the hug.

(Y/N): "This is no coincidence." I say quite firm.

Daniel: "We know. There's something out there hunting us one by one." Daniel stated.

Stepping away from the people who have been with me since the day I was conscripted. I put on the matching uniform they were wearing. Though not the exact same one I wore for the first Spartan funeral, as I have outgrown it. Despite it, wearing the new uniform still carried the heavy weight of all those Spartans who died from augmentation. After fiddling around with the cap, I made my way back to Jamie and Daniel where they waited patiently for me before walking together to where Issac funeral was being held.

Walking past all the UNSC military personnel, they all saluted to our greater status before resuming with their duties. Though I noticed that all of them were still taking in the news of another death. We walked into a big open room reserved for today. Joining with the other fellow Spartans we all waited for the ceremony to begin. Looking around I see some long and familiar faces such as Jorge-052, Jai-006, Kurt-051 as long as Red Team and Blue Team, but I noticed something off. John-117 the Master Chief was no where to be seen. Not by his fellow fireteam, not at the front of the ceremony nor behind. If I know John then I know he's currently out there fighting the good fight.

The ceremony began and Senior Chief Petty Officer Franklin Mendez made a nobel and impactful speech before we all saluted followed by him later, honoring the passing of a fellow Spartan, a fellow friend and family member. I couldn't bare to pay as much attention as I should of had. All I could think of was the danger out there waiting to strike again.

When the ceremony was declared over after the shots of gunfire erupted up in the air. As much as I wanted to stay behind with my fellow Spartans, I had to return home to see my precious little Hana. The same pelican dropship took me home successfully undetected, I had undressed from my uniform during the flight to prevent any aroused suspicions When I arrived home. The hallways had started to look full again compared to the morning's more empty and depressing feel. Yet none of the Overwatch operatives I passed dare to  say a single word to me. Hana wasn't seen lurking around in said hallways, so I guess she must be back in our room, seeing the note and must be waiting patiently for me.

Upon opening the door, and to my exact suspicion, Hana was seen indirectly in front of me, waiting by the door for me to finally return home. She scrambled in for a hug immediately after my present was seen visible to her. Hana had gripped onto me excessively tight, wrapping her hands around me to lock me in place and burying her head into me.

Hana: "You were gone for far too long that you had me so worried. I hope you're okay." Hana continued to keep her head pointing down.

(Y/N): "Of course I am. I just took a long walk that's all. I think it helped out, I'm starting to feel better now."

What I said was only half true. Of course I didn't really go for a walk like I said, that was just a cover up. But the part of feeling better might of been true. Hard to flip around emotions especially coming back from a funeral. But Hana continues to still amaze me with her unprecedented amount of love and charm towards me.

Hana: "I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better, but don't ever leave me like that."

Hana had finally risen to look up at me which allowed me to notice that her face was leaning towards the sad side which is something I never want Hana to feel. Raising a free hand up upon her cheeks, I used the edge of my finger to lightly rub up on her cheeks to try and get a simple smile on her face.

(Y/N): "I never will Hana, you know me. When I make a promise."

Hana: "You keep it that's for sure."

(Y/N): "I'll always be there for you."
_______________________________________

(A/N) Notes

Short chapters I know but it's been like two years without an update. A bit of a difference in tone for this chapter that's for sure. But we are moving into Act III. For any of those curious, Act I was the beginning to Key To My Heart. And Act II was up to Always There for Her [Flashback]. Act were split up based on relationships with Hana.

-Signed Forbidden098