Chapter One

*One day someone will walk into your life and you will realize why it never worked out with anyone else.*

-Shon Mehta, A Tale of a Fairy Tale

Roxanne's P.O.V.

As I was walking up to the café, I spotted him. The handsome guy with the brown and silver hair. I knew he would be here; we saw each other here every morning. It had actually become a routine of sorts. He was at one of the tables outside, under the awning - like he usually was, reading the paper. I sat down a few tables behind him and began doing some school work on my phone. He pretended he didn't notice me, even though I caught him sneaking looks periodically, and I did my best to keep my eyes to myself as well.

This had been going on for weeks now - far too long to be coincidental. Enough was enough though. I didn't know why he hadn't made a move, when it was so obvious he was checking me out. Maybe I wasn't his type? He could be shy. No, he probably had a girlfriend - maybe even a wife. But I had already decided today would be the day I would finally approach him, no matter how terrified of rejection I was. I mentally prepared myself for about five more minutes before saying fuck it. If he was too scared, or whatever the case was, then I guess I had to be the one to do it. I've never once made the first move before, but there was just something about this guy, and I couldn't keep seeing him every day and wondering.

Without anymore overthinking, I got up and walked over to him. As I approached his table, he looked up at me over the top of his paper, eyeing me curiously.

"You and I... we're going to have a big love affair. It might not work out, but somewhere in the middle... my God, we tried."

He put the paper down and smirked up at me. "Is that so?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Just so happens to be, yeah." I replied with a fake confidence.

"Would you like to sit down?" He offered, an amused look on his face.

"I'd love to," I said, accepting his offer and taking a seat across from him. I was incredibly relieved that I hadn't just been rejected, and I was still nervous, but much less so. "Thank you."

"That was a hell of an opener." He said, with a small grin.

"Yeah I saw it on a t-shirt once. Plus, hello is boring." I replied, returning his smile. "Anything interesting in there?" I asked, gesturing to his newspaper.

"You know, funnily enough, I was just reading my horoscope and it said I would finally meet the love of my life at exactly," he glanced at his watch "11:15 a.m. Well it actually says future wife but I think that's really just semantics."

"Oh yeah?" I laughed. "That's a bold horoscope!"

"Yeah, I could be so lucky, huh?" He asked. I blushed at the compliment, shaking my head. "Brian Quinn," he said, reaching his hand out to me.

"Roxanne." I said, taking his hand.

"Roxanne Quinn. It has a nice ring to it." He replied, squeezing my hand.

"It's Warren, actually." I said, laughing again.

"For now." He replied, looking me over. "You hungry, Roxanne Warren? I was just getting ready to order."

"I would love to join you for breakfast." I agreed.

As we ate, I found myself pleasantly surprised at how much better this was going, compared to what I originally expected - and at how easy-going and flirty Brian was being. He immediately made me feel comfortable, all my nerves quickly disappearing.