#1 My Mother

A little girl was seen running towards her small house while holding a sheet of paper. She knocked on the door and shouted, "Mummy! I'm home!!".

   The girl walked towards her mother who was reading a newspaper on a sofa. She hugged her mother from behind, startling her.

   "Emily, you gave me a fright!" the mother put down the newspaper on a coffee table in front of her and hugged her beloved daughter back. "What is this? A drawing?" she looked at her daughter's hand.

   "Oh, this... The teacher asked us to draw our family. So I drew a picture of me and you," the daughter who's known as Emily, showed her mother the drawing.

   The mother gasped a little and then smiled. "Honey, this is so beautiful! You're so talented". Emily smiled at the compliment, but it then turned into a frown.

   "Mummy... my friends drew their complete family - with father, mother and siblings. When they looked at my drawing, they asked where my father is," Emily said softly.

   "Oh, honey ~" the mother put Emily on her lap. "You know that. Your father left when you're still a baby. He's --"

   "He's a jerk, I know," Emily cut off her mother's words innocently.

   "Good. That's my little girl. Please, Emily, don't talk about your father anymore. Okay? He's gone from our life. Forever."

*******

Four years later ...

   "Emily! What are you doing? I told you to sweep the floor!" Emily's mother who's also known as Jennifer, stood in front of Emily.

   "I'm sorry, Mummy. I was feeding the cat," Emily stood up.

   "You were feeding the cat? Who is more important: me or the cat? Stupid cat," Jennifer extended her leg to kick the cat, but Emily quickly pulled it away.

   "Stop it, Mummy! You were mad at me. Don't pour out the wrath on this poor cat," Emily patted the cat gently.

   "Pour out the wrath, huh? What if I pour it out on you?" Jennifer pulled Emily's hair and dragged her to the kitchen. Emily screamed and begged for her mercy as Jennifer kept hitting and abusing her.

*******

   "Emily! Hey, Em!"

   "Huh? What?" Emily blinks her eyes and shakes her head.

   "You're daydreaming again?" Katherine raises her eyebrow.

   "Perhaps. What did you want to say, Kate?" Emily asks while rubbing her sweaty hands.

   "Oh, about that! Can I go to your house after school?" Katherine asks excitedly.

   "You...want to go to my house? Umm.."

   "Come on, Emily! We can do homeworks together," Katherine pleads and shakes Emily's arm in a childish way.

   "I'm sorry, Kate. My mother..she..she's sick, so I have to look after her."

   "All right. That's okay," Katherine looks at her best friend suspiciously.

   'I wish I could tell you the truth,' Emily talks to herself.

*******

   "Well, here I am...again," Emily says after arriving in front of her house. She stares at it and mutters 'Hell'. She wishes that she could stay longer at school so that she does not have to face her abusive mother and her mother's annoying boyfriend. Or should she call them alcoholic couple?