Screwed

Before you begin to read, I want you, the reader, to be aware that this book is written in the third person and that it involves using the gender neutral pronouns "they/them." I've done my best to differentiate between addressing Blue by those pronouns versus addressing a group of individuals. I wanted to write a book that showcased these pronouns being put into use to help inspire writers to put in the effort for non binary individuals who use these pronouns, as well as inspire readers who may not read a lot of books (if any) with the protagonist being addressed with gender neutral pronouns. 

That being said, I hope you enjoy When The Nights Get Long.

Part 1:

Digging Through The Ashes

Blue was screwed.

There was no other possible angle Blue could use to escape their predicament. A D+ wasn't by any means a good grade, but the little plus sign right in front of it proved that they did better than expected. They scored on the higher side of one of the worst grades to get. Surely that was something to be proud of, but that didn't excuse themself for almost failing a third test for that class alone. Then again, the rest of their grades in all their other classes weren't any better.

Blue was a good a student, or at least they used to be. It wasn't as though they had control over their mind and where their thoughts took them. It was difficult to focus on one thing for too long after the disappearance of someone who was held near and dear to their heart. They were not one to cry in front of other people, yet they cried every night for weeks after he left them, and he still hadn't left their mind.

Wandering thoughts were no excuse for such a horrible grade. It was nothing more than proof that something was wrong with their studying habits and that they would need to get more help to raise their grades back up. The path to becoming an Academic Scholar was slipping through their fingers, something they promised their brother they would become. They couldn't let him down.

But grades were only important to Blue because of their brother. If it were up to them, they wouldn't have cared that much about it. Luke told them religiously how good grades were going to set them on the right track for a good career, just not the one they wanted. Good grades were not going to help them become a musician.

Guitar, bass, and drums were their forte, but Blue also knew how to play the cello and the piano, their personal favorite. After their future touring days of glory were over, they intended to co-own their very own music practice to help teach young musicians on how to get a start in the music business and further pursue their young dreams. Of course, that meant Blue would need to go to college to get a business degree, so it was important to keep their grades up.

How is Luke going to react to such shitty grades? Blue wondered as they walked home. Was he going to request they stop playing music for a while to focus on the curriculum properly? Music was the only reason they were able to score a D instead of an F like they expected. Playing music freed their mind from everything that haunted them in the classroom and the bedroom as they fell asleep alone, allowing new doors to open and information to plant itself inside their mind. They couldn't stop now.

There was nothing Blue could do nor say to sugar coat the D+ they received. It was in their best interest to face the music and tell Luke the truth. And after standing on their apartment's WELCOME mat for three minutes, they rolled their shoulders back and unlocked the door, calling out, "I'm home," as they barged inside.

The moment they stepped foot into the living room, Blue sighed, slumping their shoulders as they watched Andrew Parker hover over their brother, who merely smiled at their appearance in the doorway. "Welcome home, Blue. How was school?" he questioned nonchalantly.