Cold Medicine and Warm Hands

The school year flew by. Blue graduated from high school as an academic scholar, just as they wanted. After the events of the engagement announcement, they chose to find a free tutor through the school to help them with their studies for the rest of the school year. Their ambition to walk across the stage with the medallion became a reality, and Luke was incredibly proud of them.

In a matter of weeks, Blue would be attending DePaul University. Their goal to open a music business would soon become a reality, and all their classes were a mix between music and business Gen Eds.

Coincidentally, at the same time that the lease for their brother's apartment was up, Luke wound up getting transferred down to Rockford. So while Luke headed down state to his new job with Sara, Blue stayed behind to go to school. They had a small apartment that was one tiny room. The kitchen was right next to the bed, and the bathroom was as tiny as a broom closet. They wound up showering at work if they had the chance to or at Aiden's. The air conditioner and heater never seemed to agree with the weather, so they were screwed regardless of the temperature outside. The first two months on their own was challenging, but they quickly fell into an even rhythm and was able to handle everything on their own.

As tiny as their new home was, it was still their own. There was no one to worry about bothering when coming home late, and they could sleep in as long as they wanted to. It was the first step to living an independent life, and they loved it with all their heart.

"Why don't you move in with Aiden?" Luke questioned as he helped carry in the last box of belongings Blue left at the old house. It was the day Luke would finally be moving down to Rockford, separating the two after eight years of it always being just the two of them. "I'm sure his place is better than this."

"Yeah, but it's only double in size. There's not enough room for two of us. We'd essentially be sharing a twin," they explained. Bringing their arm up to their mouth, they coughed heavily into their armpit.

Luke placed a hand on their forehead, frowning at how warm they were. "Blue, are you getting sick?"

"No, it's just the lack of school and work stress finally getting to me. I'll be better by tomorrow. It's no problem." Wrapping their arms around Luke's chest, they said, "Don't worry about me, alright? Everything will be fine. I can take care of myself. You don't have to worry."

"Alright, alright. But Andrew will check in on you from time to time since I can't anymore," he stated, not noticing how Blue tensed up at his name.

Since their brother's engagement, Blue had seen Andrew several times. Each time he was over, it wasn't like the other times. Rather than being all over Luke like he typically was, the two seemed to only sit close on the couch and talk. It was as though the engagement broke their "bromance" apart, and it was finally time to face the music of the two never getting together.

There were no hidden motives in his actions anymore, just pure happiness for his best friend. Blue was certain there would have been more to deal with, but there wasn't. It was just Andrew being genuine, something that took Luke back the first time he saw it. But it was still welcomed nonetheless.

Blue wasn't sure how to talk to him. Not once did either speak about the kiss while the two were alone. It was something Blue wound up being able to forget about for the most part. The forgetting proved there was nothing more to the kiss than it merely being a way to stop their crying. At least it worked, they tended to think.

"I just want to make sure you settle in properly. When I know you're on stable feet, I won't worry as much."

"No, you'll still worry, but I'm going to worry about you as well."