25

John roamed the streets of Liverpool alone one Monday evening. The cool, crisp, English breeze greeted him with a wicked, yet gentle, caress. Paul was at his flat taking a nap as he laid nestled in the blanket, on John's couch, the television playing as he slept. Since Paul was asleep, John figured he'd go out for a walk and think to himself.

After the open house remained a bust, John took it upon himself and filled out the paperwork, paid for the house in full to the previous owner, and put it under his name with Paul being the co-owner.

He continued to walk, passing by a few shops until he stopped in front of a jewelry store. He looked in the window to see if it was open and once he figured out that it was, he went inside.

"Ah, Mr. John Lennon!" Todd Brenson, the manager of the jewelry store exclaimed. He knew John because he'd hired him to be his real-estate agent. John walked closer to the countertop. "What can I do you for?"

John smiled, thinking about Paul nestled on the couch. His baby face snuggled into the pillow. The thought sent butterflies in his stomach.

"I just wanted to see what kind of things ye had in stock. I was also wondering if I could have something custom made?" he replied.

Todd smiled, "Why of course! We can definitely arrange something like that! Let me show ye what I have and then we can talk about the other option." He then he proceeded to show John his products.

When John left the store after an hour, he had a huge grin plastered on his face.

------

"Where are we going John?!" Paul exclaimed as John guided him at the top of his apartment building. "I might take a bloody fall if ye don't tell me where we're going."

"And, stop." John replied, stopping both parties in front of a small table. On it, contained a bottle of Paul's favorite wine, a fixed dinner he had Todd's wife prepare so that way Paul wouldn't ask him any questions, a love letter, and when they'd sit down, they would have a nice view of the city to look at; twinkling stars and all.

"Open your eyes."

"Well I can't because ye got me blindfolded. Ye bloody git!" Paul retorted, growing frustrated. John chuckled, then untied the blindfold and smirked. "Open them, Paulie."

Paul opened his eyes, and once they were fully open, his jaw dropped. "Oh my! Johnny! What is this?"

John remained smiling. "This is a surprise I had planned for you. I just thought I'd do something special because I feel that you are the most important thing to me." He wrapped an arm around his lover. "Come, sit and I'll explain everything."

Paul sat down. "This is so sweet! Thank ye love." He looked at his wine glass and gasped at the brand. "Oh, ye remembered!" He took a sip and smiled in contentment.

"Well I can't say that you're important if I can't back it up." John replied, chuckling. "Try the food, I want to know what you think."

Paul obliged, taking a bite and enjoying the creamy texture of the chicken Alfredo. He loved the pepper intertwined with the hint of basil. He loved it all. It tasted sweet, divine and the fact that he was with John really made it all the more special.

"This is so nice!" Paul exclaimed, looking at the view. "But I don't know what I did to deserve this."

John smiled, looking at his lover in pure adoration. "You deserved this kind of treatment simply because you were being you." he replied. He pushed his empty plate back and stood up and was now hovering over Paul. His palms began to sweat and his mind began to race.

What do I say? John thought to himself as he stood there, looking into Paul's eyes. What the bloody Hell do I say?!

Finally he found himself just talking -- blabbing his mouth off like an idiot.

"Paul, I find it absolutely amazing that I found someone like you to compliment me in every way. I was a sex fiend, wanting my next fix the minute I laid eyes on someone. However, when I met ye, and I started to let you sleep in my bed, eat my food and crash on me couch, I started to really consider calling you mine.
"The minute that ye told me about yer mother and yer nightmare, I couldn't help but have this sense of protection for you. Even though I couldn't stop the nightmare, I wanted to stop you from being afraid. Which is why I held you that night. Ye see, Paul. . ." John took a breath and exhaled it out. He then continued with his palms still sweating. ". . . When we, I guess, 'broke up' I was lost without you. I went from bed to bed, drank every night and slept even when I was supposed to be workin'. I would think about you all the time. I still do, even when we are next to each other. I think about how sweet your lips are when ye kiss me, how much of a wonderful writer you are, the blissful feeling I get when I hold ye in me arms. I think of all that, and more.
"What I'm trying to say is, Paul. . . Paul, I think you are the best person in the world for me. I think our lives fit well together, and, I want to make ye happy, because ye deserve nothing but happiness. We have been together for a year now, and I think it's time that I get to what I'm trying to ask ye," he gets down on one knee, and with one shaky hand, he pulls out the velvet box.

John opens it up and inside rests a gold wedding ring accompanied by two small hearts on the top of the band. One heart on the left said J and the other had P. Paul clasped his hand over his mouth. He was in compete shock. He didn't want to interrupt what John was saying, so he stayed quiet.

"James Paul McCartney, I want to be the man that holds ye when you're scared. I want to be the one to kiss ye every morning, and make things right when they are wrong. I want to be the one who pleases you in every way and not just a sexual one. I. . . I love ye Paul, and I just wanted to ask ye if. . ."

John sighed, then spoke up once more. ". . . If you would marry me?"

Paul nodded eagerly. He had tears traveling down his cheeks.

"Yes, John! I would be honored to marry ye."

John kissed his hand and slipped the ring on his finger. They spent the rest of the night enjoying each other in the brisk breeze and moonlight.

It was absolutely perfect.