Chapter 31; A Change?

Sans checked the time, less than a minute until he had to talk to Toriel, just in time. He teleported in front of the ruins door and cleared his throat, bracing himself. He knocked.

Everything went as usual, the same jokes, the same favor, the same promise. Sans sighed, and positioned himself on a three branch and checked the time, 1:41. He leaned on the tree, waiting patiently.

10 had passed and he noticed the human, they were early. He pulled his phone out and quickly texted Papyrus that the human was early and he should come as fast as possible. He shoved his phone back in his pocket and stared at the human. They passed the stick and Sans teleported to break it, he teleported away into the shadows when the human flinched and turned around. That was new.

Chara spoke in Frisk's head "Seriously? We went over this for more than 350 times, but you still flinch?" Frisk shyly nodded. They heard footsteps from behind, Frisk started to shake slightly, however, Sans didn't notice. "H U M A N." Before Sans could finish, Frisk turned around slowly and Sans extended his arm, Frisk shook it nervously.

After the long fart sound, Sans said his practiced lines "heh, the old whoopee cushion in the hand trick... wait a sec.... have you heard it before or something?" Sans continued teasing the human "you turned around before i said to..." He examined the human, no EXP, no LV, no dust. San continued after a moment of silence "... weird." He spoke after another moment of silence "... whatever. you're a human, right? i'm sans. sans the skeleton. I'm actually supposed to be on watch for humans right now. but... y'know... i don't really care about capturing anybody. now, my brother, papyrus... he's a human-hunting FANATIC. hey, actually, i think that's him over there. i have an idea. go through this gate thingy. yeah, go right through. my bro made the bars too wide to stop anyone." They walked passed the gate and Sans said "quick, behind that conveniently-shaped lamp." Frisk obliged.

Papyrus came, He almost leaped with joy when he didn't see the human standing in front of his older brother, but he controlled himself. Sans spoke "sup, bro?" Lucky for Papyrus, he can remember things very well, he was the right brain after all.

Papyrus pretended to scold Sans "YOU KNOW WHAT 'SUP' BROTHER! IT'S BEEN EIGHT DAYS AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T... RECALIBRATED. YOUR. PUZZLES! YOU JUST HANG AROUND OUTSIDE YOUR STATION! WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING?!?" Papyrus felt bad for scolding his brother, but did so anyway, he can't mess this up for their sake. Sans spoke casually "staring at this lamp. it's really cool. do you wanna look?" Papyrus started stomping his foot repeatedly "NO!! I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!! WHAT IF A HUMAN COMES THROUGH HERE!?! I WANT TO BE READY!!! I WILL BE THE ONE! I MUST BE THE ONE! I WILL CAPTURE A HUMAN!" Papyrus did his signature poster and smiled proudly "THEN , I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS... WILL GET ALL THE THINGS I UTTERLY DESERVE! RESPECT... RECOGNITION... I WILL FINALLY BE ABLE TO JOIN THE ROYAL GUARD! PEOPLE WILL ASK, TO, BE MY, 'FRIEND?'" Papyrus couldn't help but be a little sad at the next line "I WILL BATHE IN A SHOWER OF KISSES EVERY MORNING." Sans noticed, he gave his brother a reassuring smile "hmm... maybe this lamp will help you." Papyrus started stomping his foot again "SANS!! YOU ARE NOT HELPING!! YOU LAZYBONES!! ALL YOU DO IS SIT AND BOONDOGGLE! YOU GET LAZIER AND LAZIER EVERY DAY!!!" Sans spoke with a slight smirk "hey, take it easy. i've gotten a ton of work done today. a skele-ton." Sans winked and Papyrus genuinely cringed, but a slight smile appeared after. Sans turned to the side and winked, but this time with his right eye, then he turned back to Papyrus. Frisk was quietly chuckling, oh did they miss this. Papyrus yelled "SANS!!!" He teased Papyrus "come on. you're smiling." Papyrus replied "I AM AND I HATE IT! SIGH... WHY DOES SOMEONE AS GREAT AS ME... HAVE TO DO SO MUCH TO GET SOME RECOGNITION..." Sans smirked again "wow, sounds like you're working yourself... down to the bone." Sans winked at Papyrus and turned to the right to shrug with both his eyes closed. Papyrus was displeased "UGH!!! I WILL ATTEND TO MY PUZZLES... AS FOR YOU WORK? PUT A LITTLE MORE 'BACKBONE' INTO IT!!!!" Papyrus smiled mischievously, before drooping his 'eyebrows' a little "NYEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!" He walked away, silence... until he returned to say one last thing "HEH!"

After he left for good, Sans spoke "ok, you can come out now." and Frisk did. They walked over to Sans "you oughta get going. he might come back. and if he does... you'll have to sit through more of my hilarious jokes." Sans winked. Frisk fumbled with their shirt before speaking nervously "I'm sorry, Sans... I'll try making things right this run." Sans's eyes widened a little, until he sighed and looked down "i don't believe ya, kid. after everything you've done... it's quite hard to." Frisk nodded "I understand... But that won't stop me from trying my best to make everything right and leave it that way, I promise." Chara yelled in Frisk's head "Are you an idiot?!? Don't make such stupid promises which aren't even up for you to decide! You weren't even supposed to talk to him!" Frisk ignored Chara and focused mainly on Sans. Sans spoke "i sure do hope you keep that promise, kid." and with that, Sans teleported away into the next room where Papyrus was waiting.

"SANS! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS?!" Sans nodded "yeah, the kid might free us, but... well, they can also reset again, remember?" Papyrus patted Sans's head reassuringly "DON'T WORRY, BROTHER! I BELIEVE IN THE HUMAN! THEY'LL DO BETTER!" Sans looked up at Papyrus and smiled "i hope so... god, i really hope so." Sans put an arm up, covering his eyes in an attempt to stop himself from crying. Papyrus frowned upon seeing this, he pulled his brother in for a hug "Everything's Going To Be Alright... Calm Down, Sans. The Human Will Be Here Any Second Now..." Sans spoke "y-you're right... sorry..." Papyrus let go of Sans and gave him some space to calm himself down, and so he did.

*(Picture Link: https://ro.pinterest.com/pin/224124518942876124/)

< Ending It Right There~ I'm Just Saying That Updates May Be Slower Than Usual, But I'll Try My Best For It Not To Be. Hope You Enjoyed And See You Next Chapter~ (Fun Fact: Adding These "< >" Before And After A Word/Sentence/Paragraph Won't Add To Your Word Count~) >