The Aftermath (15)

I'm so, so, so sorry everyone! I've been going through a lot and because of that, I've neglected this book and I'm terribly sorry. I'm sorry about the shortness as well. Hopefully, the next chapter will better. 
Enjoy~
///////////////

(Location: Konohagakure; Preliminary Exam)

"Winner, Uzumaki Naruto!" is the last thing Naruto hears as he falls on his side with his eyes closed.

Gaara immediately appears next to him to catch him. He holds his little brother close to him. "Naruto," he mutters to himself sadly. He looks down at Naruto's closed eyes.

Kailin places a hand on his eldest son's shoulder. "Give him over to the medic-nin, Gaara." The younger redhead reluctantly gives his twin to the medic-nin.

Immediately they place Naruto on a stretcher.

'Not my baby.'

'He'll be okay, Kushina. He just passed out because of exhaustion.'

'It doesn't matter. Just wait until I get my hands on that Menma boy.'

'Kushina, darling, I don't know how to tell you this, but you're dead.'

'...Minato, I will kill you. Again!'

'Help!'

"The last exam will be held in two months. Hopefully, that will be enough time for everyone to train," Kailin says. He dismisses everyone and sighs.

Izumo pats his older brother's shoulder. Kailin scowls and turns to Misaki.

The youngest turns his head and frowns. "I'm sorry, Kailin. I thought-"

"Well, you thought wrong," Kailin says, cutting off his youngest brother. "I thought you said he was tame enough. I trusted you," he says. He glares at him. "I'm going to go and check on my son."

Misaki looks down at the ground as Kailin disappears from the room. "Izumo, what do I do?" he asks quietly. Izumo looks down at his brother. "I didn't mean no harm."

Izumo pats Misaki on his head. "All will be well. Just let Kailin cool down," he says softly. "You know how our brother is."

(Location: Konohagakure; Hospital)

Gaara sits beside his brother. He runs his hand through the blond's hair. "Please wake up soon," he says quietly.

Naruto lays in his bed motionless. In his mind, he paces back and forth in front of the opened cage of the Kyuubi. "Why did I pass out?" he mutters to himself. "I've done that jutsu in the exact same circumstance, so why was it different this time around?"

Kurama sighs. "Kid, it was that boy Menma. Remember when he grazed your cheek with the kunai? The blade had some kind of jutsu on it that depleted some of your chakra," he says.

Naruto slowly nodded his head. "I get it," he says. "I think it's time for me to wake up."

Finally out of his mindscape, Naruto opens his eyes slowly. He looks around. He's in the hospital. He looks to the side and smiles at his brother. "Hey, Gaa-nii," he says softly.

Gaara grins. "Glad to see you awake," he says. "How are you feeling? Do you still feel tired?" he asks.

Naruto shakes his head. "I feel fine and I'm not tired," the blond says.

"What happened?" Gaara asks the younger boy. Concern was evident on his face.

Naruto sits up in the bed and touches his cheek. "Menma depleted my chakra by grazing my cheek with the kunai. It drew my blood and I guess the blood activated the jutsu on the kunai," he says. He hums and places a hand on his cheek. "I never knew there was such a jutsu."

Gaara shakes his head. "Neither did I. Maybe we should ask Tou-san," he says.

The blond nods his head in agreement.

(Location: Konohagakure; Root)

Sai taps his fingers on his arm as he stares at the grey wall. "Tick, tock. Tick, tock," he mutters to himself.

His sanity is slowly slipping away from him. How long had he been in the room? He couldn't say. He pulls his knees up to his chest and begins to rock back and forth. 

The door opens and his eyes immediately lock with those of his boss. "Sai, I have a mission for you," Danzo says to the young boy. "Prepare yourself."