The Past (18)

Surprise! Been a while, and but I was thinking about how I would go about this. At first, when I dropped this hint, I made it quite obvious that Sakura was Sasori's daughter. However, I wanted to mess with you guys a bit!
Enjoy~
///////////////

[14 Years Ago]
(Location: Sunagakure)

Sasori grabbed his lover's hand and desperately pulled her along the streets of Sunagakure. "Sasori! Slow down," Sakura said with a laugh. "Our date place isn't going anywhere."

Sasori slowed down to a stop. He turned to his wife and smiled. He placed his hand on her belly. "You never know, my dear." They walked side by side to their secret spot. A blanket and a picnic basket full of food were set underneath the sakura tree. "The war has been taking a toll on you," Sasori said as they say down.

Sakura sighed. "Riko will be fine and I will be too," she said. "Don't worry too much about us. I'm strong."

Sasori shook his head at her.

Sakura cried out in pain. "Argh! Sasori! Baby, the baby!" Sakura clutched her belly. Her husband lifted her up in his arms.

"I have you, don't worry." With that, the redhead proceeded to take his wife to the infirmary. "Help! Please! My wife is in labor!" The nurses were a bit hesitant, but quickly put Sakura on a stretcher once they hear her yell out in pain.

"Sasori! It hurts!" She cried out loud while clutching her belly. "Get this baby out of me!"

Sasori followed closely behind the doctors as they took her into a room. "Is she okay?" he asked the doctor.

The doctor shrugged his shoulders. "I can't be sure at the moment. I have to get a good look, but it's safe to say that this will be a bumpy ride," he said. He turned and placed a hand on Sasori's shoulder. "I've seen a woman come in like your wife before. She didn't make it," he said.

Sasori's eyes widened as he stared at his wife. The doctor moved away from him. 

They put Sakura into a room and got her prepared. The doctor sat in front of her. "Alright, push!"

Sasori was ushered out by one of the nurses. He flinched at his wife's screams of agony. He put his head in his hands. Two hours later, he could faintly hear the crying of a baby and also the beeping of the machine. "We're losing her!"

The redhead passed back and forth outside of his wife's door.

When he heard a long beeping sound, his whole world came crashing down. "No," he muttered. He looked up at the doctor with wide eyes.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

He broke.

[Days Later]

Sasori rocked Riko back to sleep. "I'm sorry, my baby girl. I wish I could give you the life you deserve," he said. He finished filling out the last of the papers.

He handed over his daughter to the orphanage owner. "Please, take good care of her. Tell her that her parents died in the war, please."

Mrs. Laika nodded her head with a solemn smile. "Take care, dear."

Sasori turned and left. Not once did he look back.

If he did...

He wouldn't be able to stop the tears that he knew would flow down his face.
*