Three Years Later (23)

(Location: Konohagakure; 3rd Exam Arena)

Naruto jumps, startled from the sudden noise. He looks around. He could see the fire from the distance. "Gaara," he whispers as he shuffles closer to his brother. "What's going on?" he asks.

Kailin appears beside his sons. "Naruto, go make sure the civilians are getting to safety. Gaara, help the shinobi fight whoever was dumb enough to attack," he says.

The twins nod their heads. Gaara immediately leaves to follow after a familiar Nara. Naruto multiplies himself before heading out.

Sasuke sits in his chair calmly as he watches the chaos around him. "Itachi, he better not get hurt, understand?" he says coldly as he watches his love since the academy days goes off into the danger zone.

Itachi places his hand on his little brother's shoulder. "The men have orders to not touch him," he says. He frowns. "Naruto is a very special boy. You chose well, brother." With that, Itachi leaves Sasuke to ponder on his words.

(Location: Konohagakure)

Naruto picks up a small baby and hands him to his crying mother. "There you go, ma'am," he says with a bright smile.

The woman gives a ready smile before leaning up to kiss his forehead. "Thank you," she says.

Naruto blushes. "Follow the path ahead. There are no enemies on it so you and your son will be safe," he says, smiling down at the giggling baby.

The woman nods her head quickly before heading off. Naruto sighs in content. He looks at the damage around him. 'Who would do such a thing? Whoever it was, I will never forgive them. Believe it.'

He hears an explosion followed by screaming to his right. He quickly ran to the sound. He looks around frantically. Finally, he sees Sakura clutching a girl close to her chest. Behind them was a couple that was crushed by parts of a building.

"This girl's name is Riko," Sakura says. She gulps and looks at him hesitantly. "Naruto, can I tell you something? You have to promise not to tell anyone or laugh at me," she says.

Naruto nods his head. "You can count on me," he says, jabbing his thumb in his chest.

Sakura looks down at the sleeping child in her arms. "This girl. I think she's my daughter," she says. She looks back up at her teammate. "Now, before you think I'm crazy, I saw a man with red hair that looked eerily familiar. After that, I had this terrible migraine. It was like a bunch of memories from someone's past hit me all of a sudden. The thing is, though, they were mine. Like they were from my past life," she says.

Naruto blinks owlishly. "So, this girl is your daughter, and you have memories from your past self?" he asks simply.

Sakura chuckles sheepishly. "To summarize, yes."

(Location: Konohagakure; Konoha Forest)

"Look out!" Gaara feels a body cover him. There was a small explosion above him and the mystery person. When the person got off of him, Gaara's breath was caught in his throat.

Shikamaru rubs the debris off of his cheek. He looks down at Gaara and gives him a lazy smile. "Are you okay?" he asks.

Gaara nods his head, his face turning passive as he tries to hide his emotions. "You didn't have to do that for me," he says.

The Nara shrugs his shoulders. "I felt like protecting you," he says simply. He looks up at the sky, watching as a cloud passes by. "You also didn't notice the enemy that was hiding up in the trees. They were the ones that set off the bomb," he says, stretching his arms.