The Mission (16)

(Location: Konohagakure; Root)

Sai bowed before his master. "Sai, you will be traveling to Kirigakure. There, you will be meeting one of my colleagues who will be giving you...a present," Danzo says with a smirk.

The young boy nods his head and stands up. "I understand, Danzo-sama. When shall I leave?" he asks.

Danzo taps his finger on the armrest of his chair. "Now," he says.

Without another word, Sai bows and turns to leave hastily. He had never liked that room. So many things had happened there, and he was sure many more things would happen as well.

He quickly walks to his room and picks up his travel bag. He always keeps a bag packed for times like these. In it were a change of clothes, scrolls, brushes, and ink. There were other necessities as well.

He swings the bag onto his back and leaves the hidden headquarters through his window. He takes a look around his surroundings. Since the Chunin Exams were being held, he had to be careful as to who he encountered. He didn't need to drop dead just yet. He had his brothers to find.

He jumps into the trees and begins to jump from branch to branch, careful not to make a single sound.

His eyes were darting around the place. The ink birds he had made were flying above his head to search for any danger to him from above ground. His ink snakes slither below him as they take the ground.

Sai jumps down from the tree he was in. He adjusts his backpack and takes a look at his surroundings. He squints at the water in front of him. A mist covers the body of water in front of him.

He looks around for a boat or raft of some sort. Seeing none, he takes a step forward. He channels his chakra to his feet and steps on top of the water. He quickly runs to the other side.

Finally, back on solid ground, Sai takes a look at his surroundings. "I wish Danzo-sama would've given me better directions."

(Location: Unknown)

Sasori scowls at the blonde beside him. "Will you shut up, you fool?"

Deidara grins at his companion. "Lighten up a bit, my friend," he says. "We have a while 'till we are due back. We might as well take our time."

Sasori glares. "Time should not be wasted; especially not on you, you imbecile," he says coldly.

Deidara puts his hands up in defense. "Why are you so grumpy, un?" he asks.

The redhead stays quiet and ignores him.

(Location: Kirigakure)

Sai turns and holds a kunai to a person's neck. The person, covered in a black cloak that covered their face, doesn't react. "Who are you?" Sai asks with a glare.

"I am Orochimaru," the person says. "I take it that you are the young boy Danzo said would meet me here." Sai nods his head and slowly puts the kunai away.

"Yes, sir. I believe you have a present for Danzo-sama," Sai says.

Orochimaru chuckles at that. "No, my boy," he says, sending shivers down Sai's back. "The present is for you."

The black haired man grins at the young boy. He slowly moves his face to Sai. "You're a very...unique little boy," Orochimaru says.

"Get away from him," a voice says behind Orochimaru. Sai's eyes widen at the voice. 'That voice sounds so familiar.'

Orochimaru sighs and shakes his head. He moves away from Sai. "I was only having fun with him, Shin-kun," he says. He moves out of Sai's vision.

Tears prick Sai's eyes as he takes in the sight of his brother. "Onii-san," he mutters to himself.

Shin grins at his little brother. "Hello, little Sai. It's been so long. I've missed you and Sei," he says. He opens his arms up for a hug.

Sai wastes no time and quickly wraps his arms around Shin. "I'm sorry. I-I should've done something," he says, whimpering quietly. He would not let his tears fall so openly, but he couldn't help the quivering and whimpering that came from him. "It was all my fault."

The older of the two runs his hand through his little brother's hair. "Hush now, my brother. It was not your fault, understand?" he asks. Sai slowly nods his head. "Now, why don't we focus on the fact that I'm back," Shin says with a smile.

Sai pulls away and fakes a smile. He's been programmed to never show emotions; even though he did earlier.

Shin frowns. He dismisses it and wraps his arm around Sai's shoulders. He looks around. The snake had left. "Come on, Sai. Let's go home."
*