nine

Funeral Day 2 weeks later

Summer sat in the first podium of the church along with her aunt, uncle, and some more close immediate family

Summer sat in the first podium of the church along with her aunt, uncle, and some more close immediate family. August was sitting right along with them, he had his arm wrapped around Summers aunt Mrs.Jaclynn consoling her as she cried in his shoulder.

Summer softly cried to herself as the pastor recited some verses directly from the Bible. The whole church was filled with family Summer had never seen before. They all seemed heartbroken with Davonte's passing and she felt the same. She couldn't believe that her parents didn't fly out to attend, they were so called too busy.

Although they were never in each other's life for long their bond was already strong. Davonte was like a sibling..a brother Summer never had and she couldn't believe he was gone just like that. She never got to tell him how much she appreciated and loved him.

As the pastor finished up he asked if anyone would like to say any last words before the viewing would begin. Mrs.Jacklyn stood up, and Summers uncle Richard helped her up to the podium.

Mrs.Jaclynn took a deep breath wiping her tears before speaking. "My son..my son meant a lot ta' me. Eva' since he was born I knew I'd be set fa' life, I didn't have any other kids but Davonte he was enough. He wasn't the perfect child I won't stand up hea and lie...he wasn't a straight A student, he was always in and out of a jail and participatin' in things he shouldn't have been; but Davonte Williams was a great son and a great man" She said softly in the microphone "His heart was big—so big I'a tell you. One early mornin' when he was in high school just a freshman, I caught him outside on the porch just sitting..I said son what are you doing? The suns barely out  he said to me I'm watching ova dem kids mama" She slightly chuckled.

Summer wiped a tear from her face, this was a lot and she just wished Trevor was here to support her. But he claimed there was no reason for him to show fake love when he didn't care about Davonte. That hurt her deep, because she thought he would at least come to support her she sent him the address and everything but he never walked through the doors.