tweleve

••

two weeks later

Sitting in front of the gravestone that read Davonte Graham Brown Summer sat with her legs folded underneath each other as she talked to her cousin

Sitting in front of the gravestone that read Davonte Graham Brown Summer sat with her legs folded underneath each other as she talked to her cousin. She hadn't visited his gravesite since the burial at his funeral and had the sudden urge to this particular day.

It was seven in the morning on a Sunday and the sun had barely risen so there was little to no heat. Instead a warm breeze hit Summers body every now and then.

Trailing her finger tips over the words on the tombstone she sighed. There wasn't a day that she didn't miss Davonte but some days..like today she couldn't push the fact that he was gone to the back of her mind.

"I miss you" She sniffed while trailing her fingertips across the words engraved in his tombstone "A lot has been going on and I just..I need to talk to you but you're not here" She said softly

She pushed her hair back behind hear ears and took a deep breath "Well for one Trevor and I are officially done..He didn't like that fact that I wasn't willing to take him back so quickly and he's onto the next girl..so you were right about him I guess. My parents barely acknowledge that I'm alive. I try to call them at least once a day and no matter what time of the day it is they're busy with something"

Feeling more tears fall out of her eyes she quickly wiped them off with the back of her arm. "I just don't get it—I've never mattered to them. The first chance they got at shipping me away they did it" She cried "And now they can post about how great their lives are going on all these amazing trips but can't pick up the phone to call their daughter back" She ranted into the air with the hope that Davonte was up there listening to her.

She continued to talk to Davonte for the next thirty minutes or so when she heard footsteps approaching her. She abruptly paused her sentence and looked towards the sound. To her surprise August was walking up to the tombstone with a bouquet of white roses in hand.

He raised an eyebrow continuing his journey over there. August made this trip to visit Davonte every Sunday so it was to his surprise to see Summer there. Plus they hadn't seen each other since they kissed in his car, because she had began to avoid him at all cost.
All the rides to school and work stopped and he hadn't seen her.

"How you doin?" He spoke replacing the old flowers with the new ones he had bought.

Summer quickly wiped her face dry sitting up on her knees "I um..I'm okay."

August made himself comfortable on the grass as well pulling out his blunt, this was all routine for him despite Summers presence but he didn't mind. He couldn't believe himself but he missed her. He had become accustomed to her whiney and spoiled behavior so it was odd when they stopped seeing each other.

"Did you know I was here?" She asked once she realized he wasn't going to respond.

August shook his head no taking a pull of his blunt "Nah I come hea' every week so it's a surprise ta see you actually"