fourteen

••

August caressed Summers back in a slow motion as she laid asleep on his chest

August caressed Summers back in a slow motion as she laid asleep on his chest. Her hair was mostly pushed back behind her ears beside a few stray strands that laid on her face. She had a tight hold on his torso moving her head every once an a while.

Meanwhile August stared up at the ceiling trying his hardest to fall asleep but he couldn't. It seemed as if every time he closed his eyes he saw the body of Davonte laying on the hard and cold concrete floor and it agitated him. Davonte didn't deserve to go out like that and his mind wouldn't let it go.

With his insomnia getting the best of him he gently moved Summer to the other side of the bed before getting up. He rummaged through his nightstand drawer quietly and pulled out his journal and weed jar then headed out to the patio that was connected to the bedroom leaving the door open only slightly.

Taking a deep breath he grabbed his pack of rillos and dumped out the tobacco from each one. Once they were both empty he filled them up with his already ground up weed and took his time rolling each one up. He wasn't in any rush since he wasn't going to get much sleep anyway.

After he finally finished he lit the end of the first blunt taking a few quick puffs so it would start burning. When the smoke became a bit smoother he relaxed and sat back in his chair.  He smoked the entirety of the first blunt in complete silence and let the effects slowly take over his body, then opened up the journal he brought along with him. Once he started on the second blunt he began to write.

It had been a while since he'd done this due to everything going on the past few weeks so he was actually glad he could write in it again. The journal was a gift Melvin had gave him years and years ago. Ever since August was a young teen he had issues containing his anger, once something set him off that was it. He had a habit of letting things bottle in until he would just ultimately snap.

Mel knew his brother and so he knew August wasn't the talk about his feelings type. Which is why he got him a plain black moleskin notebook to write whatever he felt to give him an outlet to express his feelings privately.

August had learned quickly that it was easier for him to write in the form of poems or songs. So many of the pages were just filled with verses ranging from shorter to longer lengths.

"I don't always do what I should..but I do what I gotta do" He mumbled to himself before jotting it down. After thirty minutes of writing he was stuck so he read over the lines a few times.

I don't always do what I should
But I do what I gotta do
When you've been at the bottom, you see the hunger inside of you
Don't say what you won't do
Cus it can all change
When the going gets tough it'll drive you insane
See I done dodged a couple shots
Served a couple blocks
Hit a couple corners tryna shake a couple cops
I broke a couple rules
Didn't graduate from school
Cus I was busy hustling, man I thought that shit was cool..