twenty five

••

     Looking at himself in the mirror August nodded his head in approval at his fresh cut

Looking at himself in the mirror August nodded his head in approval at his fresh cut. "How much I owe you woe?"

"Twenty" His barber Tone responded while removing the cape from around August's neck. He dusted off the stray hairs on his back and neck then stood up to hand him the money from his wallet.

"Good lookin' Tone..you always get a nigga right outchea'"

He cockily smiled knowing that he was one of the best barbers out in New Orleans "It's no sweat, see you in two weeks yungin" and with that August was out the door making his way to his car.

     He answered his ringing phone while he while he dug in his pockets in search of his keys "I'm finna be on the way mama" He said after checking the time and seeing he was running fifteen minutes behind.

"Boy hurry up I wanna be there before breakfast ends" She said.

"I'm down the street" He lied quickly getting in the car and getting onto the highway.

Once he got to his mothers house he let her know he was here and she came out. She wore a simple black flowy jumpsuit and nude heels with her bag across her shoulder. It was Sunday morning so he knew she had just came from church with Chandra.

August opened the passenger door for her and made she was settled in before going back to the drivers side. He meant it when he told his mother that he was open to fixing their relationship. So this was the second time they were meeting up since his grandmothers birthday.

      The first time was a bit of a waste because it happened right after the fallout with Summer, so it turned into Mrs.Sheila lecturing him about his actions. So he was hoping today could be solely about repairing their relationship.

     Now at the restaurant the host who was standing by the entrance guided them to a table outside on the patio per his mother's request. The Sun was out and the wind was lightly blowing so it felt good outside.

"Your server will be right with you guys" She said placing both menus in front of them and returning back to the front.

"How was church" August questioned as his mother searched the menu, he already knew what he wanted since he got the same thing every time he ate here.

"Church was nice" She nodded "You should come with us next time, the girls are in the praise dance"

Truthfully August hadn't been to church since Mel died he felt like their was no purpose after that. He still believed in God—that wouldn't change, but the idea of church wasn't his cup of tea anymore. As long as he knew in his heart his relationship with God he didn't need to hear someone else preach about him.

"I'll think about it"

"Which means no" She stated "Thats perfectly fine but I feel like you'll like this church, the pastor is amazing"