XXXVII

37

Author's POV

Jimin breathes in the early spring air, appreciating the buds forming on the trees. He also takes in the nostalgic memories, feeling mixed emotions of euphoria, guilt and regret.

The sun begins to set on his left as he makes his way back to his apartment.

"AnOOther one ajuSSSII!" A familiar voice yells, making Jimin turn to the source of the voice. "Oh wait! Nope! I'm drunk, I need to head back," she weakly stands from her seat. "I'll pay you tomorrow okaaaay? Byeeeee." She is close to the store owner from her daily visits, so she's a trusted customer.

"Okay, do you need my daughter to help you on your way back?" He kindly offers.

"Noooo! No, it's okay. Hanna should be sleeping soon anyway, tell her to do well in school," she still manages to have a proper conversation as her tipsiness is only by the surface. She knows her limit and when to stop, and the store owner would also know when she should stop.

"No, Hanna! Come help Mia-"

"It's okay ajussi, I can help her," he approaches the limping girl, holding her arms to help her steadiness.

"Oh Jimin! Long time no see! Okay, I trust you with her, be careful on your way back."

Jimin drags Mia out of the store with a struggle.

"Who are you?" She frowns, Jimin looks at her to show his face. Mia giggles, "what a pretty boy, hehheeh."

"It's Jimin," he utters, continuing their walk. "How much did you drink? And why did you drink so early into the night?"

"Jimin? Hmm," she rubs her chin in deep thought. "Wait! I think that was one of the reasons why I wanted to drink. Or was it Jungkook? What is a Jimin anyway?"

"You're definitely drunk."

"No I'm not," she snaps her head towards the boy, pouting as she stands still on her spot.

"Even you said it yourself earlier," he shakes his head.

"Well did I mention earlier how annoying Jungkook was?" She changes the topic, gaining Jimin's attention. "That brat teases me all the time. But he's also such a cutie! He conforms to my demands like paying for my food!" She talks about Jungkook with a wide smile on her face, making the boy next to her envious.

"What about that Jimin guy?" He plays along with the drunk girl.

"Oh, Jimin," she pauses for quite a while. "I have lots of memories with him. He made me cry a lot too which was a jerk move." The statement made Jimin clench his jaws in guilt.

"But he also made me feel and experience things I haven't experienced before too. And I cherish all those memories, even the bad ones. Because it was memories I had with him. I always want him by my side." Mia faces the sky, making the street lamps glisten on her teary eyes as Jimin stare at her beauty.

"You know, he left to do his service. And a lot of shit happened. I met Soojin and found out the truth which ended up to be my near-death experience," she spills, making the boy's eyes open twice as wide.

"WAIT WHAT?"

"Yep," she chuckles. "And I was relieved to know that he had reasons for his doings, 'cause I knew him better. So I told myself I'd wait for him. Everyday, I wrote handwritten letters and hid them in a box in my room. It was so cheesy and cringe," she giggles. "I don't even know if I'll give them to him. I don't think I will, especially not after what happened last night." She starts tearing up again as the boy stays quiet in guilt. He knew exactly what had happened last night.

"Basically if you were wondering, Jimin was back so I wanted to talk to him. I took the leap of faith and went straight to my point. And you know what he did?" Mia's eyes stings as tears start to appear. "He left. He left me confused saying he doesn't know. So now, I don't know." She shrugs the tears off in a deep sigh. The guilty boy looks down at his fidgeting fingers, not sure on how to respond.

Mia hugs her knees on the floor, resting her face downwards on top of it.

"Mia, are you okay?" He asks the quiet girl. "Are you asleep?" He ducks down to her level, slightly shaking her shoulders, making the girl lift up her teary face.

"I expected," a tear drops swiftly from her eye. "I expected and got disappointed, thinking he'd still feels the same." Mia's tears grow heavy. "I didn't think it'd hurt this much," she holds onto his arms, sobbing.

Jimin's heart clenches in pain at the sight of the girl he cares about, seeing her in this vulnerable state that she's always trying to hide, pretending she's a solid, indestructible pillar.

"I'm sorry," he whispers as he pulls her into his chest, running his finger through her hair. He didn't want to let go of her. He didn't know why he did what he did last night, he's trying but he doesn't know if he could hold it in any longer.

He wanted her to forget about him, but it seems that his heart wouldn't settle as it calls out for a specific name that he's always yearned for.

Mia pulls away from his hold, wiping her tears as she pulls herself together. She stares at the ragged ground before turning to the person next to her.

"Who are you again?" She narrows her eyes in suspicion.

"Jimin..." He clenches his jaws, answering hesitantly.

"Oh! So you're Jimin!" Mia blurts out, unwavered, before recalling the familiar name in her mind.

"You," she pokes his shoulder as she stands away from him. "You were the reason why I wanted to drink," she chuckles.

Jimin stands in his spot, looking away from her, not knowing what to do as the girl rants out her words.

Her long pause makes him puzzled. He looks up again, taken aback from her expressions.

Mia looks at him softly with a smile as her tears sparkle like stars. "I wish you happiness."