V

An uncomfortable dryness settled in my throat, causing a disturbance in my sleep with a fit of coughing. As my mind gained consciousness, a heavy pressure settled in my head, the beginning of headache. My body was stiff and sore but I was able to move, slowly but surely.

With a grunt and a bit of straining, I managed to sit up, reaching my arm out and turning the lamp on. The room filled with a warm color, illuminating the unfamiliar room. It was not as large as the bedroom I had back in the Hamptons, which I was incredibly thankful for. That room was much too large, feeling empty and cold no matter how much I tried to decorate. However, this room was quaint, but not small. The room felt refreshing, homey even.

When the scratching in my throat got worse, causing me let out another string of coughs, I stood up. Instantly I was meet with wave of cold air, making me shiver uncontrollably. My clothes were still damp, plastering to my figure like a second skin. The bed in which I was laying in had been protected by a layer of towels but the blanket that had been covering me was now damp as well. A second comforter had been placed on top of me as well, it's pale yellow coloring not matching the room's lavender scheme at all.

The pain in my head turning into a dull throbbing and I groaned, clutching my temples. Even though I was shivering, I began to sweat, breaking out into a coughing once more. Scanning the room once more, I desperately looked around for my suitcase, needing a new set of clothes. Instead of my bag, I was met with a strategically placed pile of clothes on top of the dresser, along with a glass of water.

Greedily, I reached out and chugged the water, it serving as relief for my parched throat. Placing the now empty glass back onto the wooden piece of furniture, I turned to the clothing. Lying on top of the pile was a pair of black athletic shorts. Making sure the door was shut, I slipped off my pants, cringing when I removed my underwear as well, and pulled the shorts on. They were a bit lose on me but all I had to do was adjust the strings to fit my small frame. The only thing left was a black sweatshirt. Removing my shirt, sighing when I removed my damp bra, I slipped the warm and soft material over my head. It was much to big, obviously belong to a male, the material falling all the way down to my mid thigh.

I jumped up when I heard the clashing sounds of pots and pans, a feminine voice soon following. It reminding me that this was not my house, that I had no idea where I was. My nerves peaked and my stomach churned at the thought of who could live here, if they would be mad that I had intruded in their home. I drug them all the way out there for an injured horse and dog, a human in distress was not included in the call. Swallowing hard, I gripped the empty glass with shaking fingers, afraid that I was going to drop it. I needed to bring it with me though, it gave me something to distract myself with.

With clumsy movements, I made my way over to the door and opened it, the hinge creaking as I did. Peaking my head out, I was met with a long hallway, clad with several doors that all looked the same. It was going to be easy to get lost up here.

I turned in circles for a bit until I found the staircase towards the end of the hallway, following the noises coming from downstairs. The stairs creak beneath every step I took, my gut filling with anxiety the closer to the bottom I got. The sounds of cooking still went on, directing me on which way to go to find the kitchen and the lady inside of it.

"Oh Deary." She called out. "You are up already?" I gasped as she announced my presence with her back still turned to me as she stirred something in the pot.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled and help the glass tighter.

"Oh it's quite alright." She assured, grabbing a ladle and poured some of the substance from the pot into a bowl. "I just wasn't expecting you to be up until morning. You had a pretty high fever there for a while." She set the bowl down on the island along with a spoon, gesturing for me to sit down.

"Uh, thank you?" I questioned as I stiffly sat down at the stool.

"It's good to see another girl in the house. I've been living in this house with too much testosterone for too long." She informed me as she wiped the counter.
"I'm sorry for not introducing myself. I'm Roselyn."

"Faylyn. I replied, picking up the spoon and tasted the soup. It warmed me up and the taste of it almost had me moaning.

"Eat up, Deary. There is more on the stove if you want some more. I'll be right back at." She moved around with easy, her brown hair following her movements. She didn't act awkward around me, inviting me in as if I were one of her own. By the time I had finished my soup, she had returned downstairs, carrying the wet blanket and my clothing. 

"Oh I could have done that, Mrs. Somers?" I guessed.

"Oh no, it's fine and please, call me Rose. Mrs Somers makes me sound old."

"I'm sorry." I apologized again, fidgeting with the spoon. She approached me, startling me when she place her soft hand upon her forehead, confusing me.

"You are very polite." She smiled down at me before pulling her hand away. "Your fever had died down some but you shouldn't risk it. You should head back to bed if you're finished eating."

"I'm staying? I don't mean to intrude or anything." I said, unsure and timid.

"Nonsense! Of course you are staying. I wouldn't send you off somewhere in these kinds of conditions."

"You are much to kind." I replied as she took my empty bowl and spoon.

"I can't wait for you to meet my sons and husband. They are tending to the horses right now and won't be back for a while." I didn't know how to reply, just sending her a small smile. I covered my yawn with my hand, my eyes dropping in the process. Mrs. Anne gave a small laugh and rubbed my shoulder.

"You should head to bed, Deary. We can talk more in the morning." She led me back up the the room, checking the room to make sure it was up to standards.

"I can't thank you and your family enough to for what they have done for me already." I whispered as I turned off the lamp.

"It's no problem. Get some sleep." She whispered back, shutting the door gently behind her. I pulled the blanket up to my chin, hugging the pillow to my chest, closing my eyes and sighing with a smile on my face.