XLIX

The bow that was placed in my hair was slowly falling off, pulling my hair with it, but it couldn't deter my mood one bit. The joyous atmosphere this family created as they opened up their gifts Christmas morning as a family filled me with warmth and comfort, with a hint of sweetness. Even warmer then the cup of hot cocoa that was currently keeping my hands warm and even sweeter the mini marshmallows floating on top that were slowly being melted by the heat of the steaming beverage.

Somehow, I managed to go last minute shopping and get each member of the family something, with the help of Maverick. He told me each of their interests and wants, so I was able to join in on the fun and watch their excited reactions as they opened their gifts. That warmed me up even more, more than the matching Christmas themed pajamas Maverick insisted I had to wear.

"Well, I guess that's everything!" Mrs. Somers buzzed, looking at the decorated tree that held no more gifts at the bottom. The living room had turned into a mess of torn wrapping paper, empty bags and discarded ribbons and bows.

"Actually," Maverick stood from the couch, wearing and equally comically pair of matching pajamas and a Santa hat was lopsided on his head. "there's one more. I'll be right back." He left the room quickly and we all listened to him run up the stairs, his footsteps almost as loud as if he were wearing boots, only to return just as quickly. With his hands behind his back and an excited, childlike grin on his face, he approach me, where I was sitting on the floor.

"Merry Christmas." He pulled his hands behind his back, only to offer me a gift he had been hiding. It was large but thin, and in all honesty, terrible wrapped, uneven and lumpy, bulbous at the top but flat on the bottom, but I was appreciative none the less.

"I thought I told you guys no presents." I looked around the room before reaching out to take the gift. "You guys have given me more than enough already."

"You did say no presents." Maverick grunted out as he sat on the floor beside me, crinkling some of the wrapping paper as he did so. "But I decided to break the rules and get one anyway." I raised my eyebrow at him.
"Don't give me that look, you have to be a part of the Christmas spirit. Besides, it's only one gift."

"Maverick-" I went to protest.

"Nuh uh." He stopped me. "No complaining on Christmas. Now, open it." He placed a hand on my knee, giving it a encouraging squeeze.

I sighed as if I were slightly annoyed but in all actuality, I was grateful and undoubtedly excited. Pulling at the paper, it revealed colorful twisted ropes beneath. Intrigued, I pulled them out, only to see that they were also entangled with a golden metal. Holding it up to my face, it read,

'Faylyn Sawyer
Valedictorian
5.5 GPA'

"You didn't." I gave Maverick a quick look, only to set the metal and honors chords aside to tear the rest of the paper away eagerly.

"I did." There in my hands, sat my high school diploma, something I never thought I would ever receive.

"How-" I lifted the framed paper from the rest of the paper, staring at my name that was printed on the line. "How did you get this?"

"Well," he shifted so he was face me. "After we won the trail, your old friend Cora came up to me. We began talking and she mentioned your night school and I remember you said you never got to go to graduation, so I contacted your principal and he let me go through the storage room until I found them."

Placing my diploma down in front of me, I raised myself onto my knees so I was able to wrap my arms around his neck.
"Thank you so much." He retuned the hug, his own arms lifting to encircle my waist.

"Of course. It was no problem."

"You don't know how much this means to me." I whispered in his ear. "Thank you." Pulling back, I placed a kiss on his cheek, only to watch them turn a hue of pink, mostly likely resembling my own.

Noticing a private moment, Maverick's siblings already poking fun and making jabs, Mrs. Somers ushered them into the kitchen for breakfast. On her way out, she sent me a wink over her shoulder before leaving the room entirely, one that only I saw. Don't even think we couldn't hear them chatted excessively as the sound of silverware and plates clanked together as they set the table, no doubt talking about us.

"Merry Christmas, Faylyn." His eyes gleamed as he sent me a shy smile.

"Merry Christmas, Maverick."